RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving from XPenology to ESXi, preparing setup

pEEps

I didn't test any BSD on my Microserver.

I had tested RockStore Linux ans OpenMediaVault in a VM.

My preference at this time is OpenMediaVault, really well finished and complete NAS Distro.

There's few usefull great plugins that can be added.

RockStore Linux is promising, but young yet. Clearly lack of features compared to OMV.

Ok,

You can take a look to these two distros too

-Nethserver, it's not a NAS distro but a general purpose server, very modular and easy to setup. You can install easely Owncloud, Plex... Such service you find on a Nas distro

-ClearOS, the same rules as NethServer.

Theses two distros are server oriented, with webgui and nices features, both RedHat/CentOS based.

I run NethServer on my microserver Gen8

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies. Right now I am in the middle of a house moving but I will take a look and start to answer you asap.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Finally I have the time necessary to prepare all I need. I bought an E3-1220 V2 so my current setup is:

10Gb RAM (2stock + 8 new) ECC

SSD OCZ Vertex 3 120gb

Xeon E3-1220 V2

Samsung EVO SD 16Gb

3 x 5Tb

1 x 8Tb

Also I have iLO enabled + EXSi installed in SD. My main idea to start is:

- SSD in ODD -> All VMs installed here

- VM1 -> NAS with one solution mentioned above to manage 4 x HDDs: OpenMediaVault, FreeNas, Nas4free, RockStore Linux (exists more?) - Which one is "the best" to start?

- VM2 -> Plex Media Server with all HDDs which are managed in VM1

- VM3 -> OpenVPN

- VM4 -> Windows lab

- whatever, depending on the needs

Should I use B120i, right? How it works exactly?

What do you think? Suggestions or changes will be appreciated :)

Edited by pEEps

I would be interested to see how your Plex Server performs, at transcoding a HD (BlueRay) video file, because Plex states you need at least 2000 CPU passmark, and under a Hypervisor, it steals CPU cycles.

If performance is what you seek.

Edited by einsteinagogo

I would be interested to see how your Plex Server performs, at transcoding a HD (BlueRay) video file, because Plex states you need at least 2000 CPU passmark, and under a Hypervisor, it steals CPU cycles.

If performance is what you seek.

It seems a good idea to check. I will try it as soon as possible. Right now I am backup all my files from SHR RAID to make a clean installation with Smart Array (I guess it is the best option to choose, right?).

You can run Plex in VM1, when you choose Openmediavault. There is a plugin. It works great.

I know OMV has a Plex plugin but...do you know if its performance is like a standalone VM installation? I mean for transcoding as @insteinagogo asked me before.