RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving from XPenology to ESXi, preparing setup

pEEps

Hi all,

Near year ago I bought a basic HP Gen8 to put a 4 x 5tb + XPenology as OS. Few weeks ago I bought 2 x 8Gb RAM + the components to put SSD in ODD bay (Dell MX714 + ODD Caddy + Sata SlimLine adaptor), because I want to boost my HP Gen8 so I think it's a good start. I've read many threads and blogs about ESXi, iLO Advanced, boot from SSD... but it seems I am a bit stupid :lol: because I can't "find" which step should be the first to start the setup. 

Right now I have around 10tb free, but all my HDDs are with XPenology format so I should move my data to 2 backup HDDs and format all of them (4 x 5tb) to start with this change from 0. 

So my question is... can someone give me an idea on how to start with this? Right now I don't see anything clear so I can't run the risk of do something without the correct knowledges. 

Sorry if I seem idiot  :ph34r: and thanks to all!

It sounds like you are trying to change your server to EXSi and run XPenology as a VM?

My recommendation is to clean everything off from your MS G8 and start with a clean working ESXi environment. The create the XPenology VM and bring your data back in.

You could also consider using one of the tools to create a VM from your existing physical machine, but I have had mixed results with that and large data stores can be an issue.

Hi,

I can't understand why somebody want to use XPenology.... It's a propriotary os that been cracked,, hacked how can it be trusty? How some can put valued data in such system?

There's lot of trusted solutions out there FreeNas, Nas4free, RockStore Linux, OpenMediaVault that using a hacked OS is an aberration!

• Like 1

Depend on your ressources ( Ram)

If you have 16 gb Ram go for FreeNas or Nas4free, the first or the fork of the second one. Lot of ram need for the Zfs filesystem, a rock solid filesystem.

If you like RedHat, or CentOs, go for RockStore Linux, a good Nas distro with the new Btrfs file system, o promising file system for Linux.

If you are more confortable with Debian, go for OpenMediaVauld, traditional FileSystem, but really solid, and light system...( it can run on a raspberry pi)

You didn't mention whether your memory was ECC or non-ECC? To use ZFS you have to use ECC ram and a Xeon processor is recommended. I personally love OpenMediaVault. I have tried pretty much all of the Linux NAS variations and it is my favorite. I agree with Jim in that why people would use XPEnology for their data. Also, FreeNAS is based on OpenBSD, not Linux. OpenBSD has a stricter hardware limitation and you HAVE to make sure all of your hardware is compatible. I could not use my onboard Ethernet ports and had to buy an add on card.