RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 from SSD to USB Stick

cocksy

Evening all,

So I've been playing with hyper-v server 2012 R2 as the first time I've worked with a hypervisor and I'm enjoying it, despite the steep learning curve! One thing I'd like to do is migrate my installation from its current location on an SSD to a dedicated USB stick, freeing up the limited SATA ports on my motherboard for disks for the VMs. I've read instructions on how to install hyper-v server 2012 on a USB from scratch here, but can't seem to find anything on migrating an existing install to a USB sick.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible, and if so how to do it? Or do i need to just bite the bullet and start from scratch with a fresh install on the USB?

If I have start from scratch with a fresh install on the USB stick:

1. Is there a way to migrate all my settings across?
  2. What's the best way to "move" the VMs to be managed in the new hypervisor running from the USB?

Cheers,

I think you will find several threads on here  with a common thread about running a Windows OS from a USB stick.  It's a bad idea.

I think you will find several threads on here with a common thread about running a Windows OS from a USB stick. It's a bad idea.

I agree, but I believe that the OP is working with the Hyper V server, which can run from USB.

I agree, but I believe that the OP is working with the Hyper V server, which can run from USB.

Core Server?  If so, then quite possible but still not recommended.

Yeah, its hyper-v server I'm using so it should run from a USB stick just fine. I've seen the various instructions on how to install onto USB from scratch, I was just wondering whether it was possible to copy my existing installation to the USB from the SSD, rather than having to start from scratch with a fresh install?

OK, so looks like I will have to do a fresh install of hyper-v server to the USB stick, so is there anything specific required to do to move the VMs to the new installation, or do I simply 'load' from the VM manager screen?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

It's a quite old thread, but...

Win 2012 R2 runs from USB stick just fine (even the full install) and if you really need reliability - use a ssd in msata to usb enclosure (I have 2 servers set up like this) http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10870-running-windows-2012-r2-from-usb-drive/#entry113617

You can use disk2vhd to capture a live os image then use DISM to package it in WIM by preserving all OS settings (make sure you fix the drive letters if you do not use sysprep!).

Thanks Artiom - I kind of gave up the plan to run from a USB and went with a larger SSD which has room for the hyper-v server and the VMs. Not the best use of space, but I think its only about 7GB overhead so I can deal with that!

One thing that your other post made me think of was, what is the best way to back up the hyper-v installation? Ideally I'd like to use something built into the OS from MS (like the backup built into WHS 2011), but I have no idea if there is anything similar in the free MS Hyper-V hypervisor, and how to manage it without a GUI either way!?!

Thanks Artiom - I kind of gave up the plan to run from a USB and went with a larger SSD which has room for the hyper-v server and the VMs. Not the best use of space, but I think its only about 7GB overhead so I can deal with that!

One thing that your other post made me think of was, what is the best way to back up the hyper-v installation? Ideally I'd like to use something built into the OS from MS (like the backup built into WHS 2011), but I have no idea if there is anything similar in the free MS Hyper-V hypervisor, and how to manage it without a GUI either way!?!

Are you speaking of backing up the Hyper-V host or the VM's controlled by the host?