RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Display issue

Sarge

Ok, I've had my WHS2011 box on a KVM switch since I built it three or so years ago, but only lately have I had any problems with switching between the two.

What happens is that when I switch the KVM over to the WHS box the monitor shows "Input Not SUpported". I then have to remote into the WHS box, reboot it, and immediately switch the KVM back to it before Windows is loaded. Then it works fine until the next reboot. I have a weekly reboot setup as part of a scheduled maintenance routine, so I have to deal with this just about every time I want direct access to the OS. I notice that the desktop resolution is changed when I remote in, and when I boot with the KVM set to the WHS box it is correct. So, something is setting the resolution differently at boot time, although it didn't do this for about the first couple years I had it setup. Is there a "sticky' way of setting the resolution so that I don't have to go through this rigmarole every time?

Thanks so much for your tips.

Jason

What KVM switch are you using?

Also. unfortunately, this is a fairly common issue with a lot of KVM switches.  They don't maintain an active connection with the system, so this happens.  Some of the higher end (read: expensive) models don't suffer from this issue, but that doesn't really help you. 

That said, NirSoft has a command line utility that can be configured to do this:

http://nircmd.nirsoft.net/setdisplay.html

Just set a scheduled task to run on boot, and call the command. 

What KVM switch are you using?

Also. unfortunately, this is a fairly common issue with a lot of KVM switches.  They don't maintain an active connection with the system, so this happens.  Some of the higher end (read: expensive) models don't suffer from this issue, but that doesn't really help you. 

That said, NirSoft has a command line utility that can be configured to do this:

http://nircmd.nirsoft.net/setdisplay.html

Just set a scheduled task to run on boot, and call the command. 

I have the same problem when I remote in to a family members HTPC when the TV is not active though its not on a KVM switch, Problem is there is no active monitor so Windows wigs out and does not know what resolution to set. Makes sense when you think about it.