RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Kotek Besar

Can't install Windows 10

schoondoggy

Do you have a small capacity, under 2GB, hard drive you could put in bay1 and try to install to it?

What does you cable look like that you are using? can you post a picture?

Downloaded using MS Media Create Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
English UK, W10, 64bit.

When you created the image, did you select 'to install on another computer'?

• Like 1

Dibba

Yes it is frustrating! Was up very late last night messing around with it. I've already done the 'set boot drive' and got the same issues again... This is why I've resorted to buying an ilo license to see if it works from an iso install. Reason being is that I'd created two different USB boot keys and neither worked.

Looking forward to going home and trying it all again.

So ideally I'd just like to boot off the SSD using b120i set to raid 0 for ease of not having to setup an internal USB boot key, and eventually have 4 data drives - each in raid 0 using the b120i controller.

However, to start with it would be great to just get the OS installed :/

Actually, coming to think of it the most frustrating thing is the time taken to load through the boot sequence.

• Like 1

Dibba

Intelligent Provisioning is limited to supported OS's and Windows 10 is not one of them. It may work, but I would do a manual install with the ISO on one USB and the drivers on another. Be sure both USB are plugged into USB 2.0 ports.

Have you updated the BIOS and all of the firmware?

Okay, so I am currently updating the firmware to October 2015.  It was a 5.12GB download and I am following a guide from youtube by Technut and using full auto installation of the firmware.  I have mounted the iso image in the virtual drive from iLO console (as shown in technut's awesome video). 

Have uplugged all drives apart from SSD in ODD and pressed 'F5' during boot.  I have created a single RAID 0 array with the 64GB SSD.  Reset machine.

This is now complete. What I'm doing next

1) Mount Windows 8 ISO in virtual drive via iLo - Done

2) Press F11 when booting - Done

3) Select '1' - Boot from CD Rom - Done

4) No drives shown -> Load B120i drivers from USB - Done

5) Drive shows correctly as 59.3GB - Click 'Next' - Done

6) No error messages and currently 'Installing Windows' at step 2 'Getting files ready for installation'

So far the only real difference is:

1) Update to latest firmware

2) Used Virtual Cd drive instead of USB key.

I'm guessing that it was my USB bootable drive that was at fault - not the USB stick itself, but the method I have used to create it.

Will update once the files are ready for installation - currently at 12%.

Kotek see this video: 

Edited by Dibba

Dibba

Update - All done for OS install on SSD.  

See here for service pack:

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/index.aspx

Okay, So I've got Windows 8 installed :) !!!!  Next - Install two data drives and still be able to boot from SSD.

These are my next steps:

1) Push in two HDD at the front - Bay 1 (3TB) and Bay 2 (1TB).

2) Press 'F5' to go to RAID array controller

3) Setup new drives as RAID 0 x 2 (per drive) - will have 3 logical drives now.

4) Reboot and test if it still boots into Windows from the SSD.

Done.  It still boots into Windows, but the two data drives do not show up?

Edit:

Drives now showing up after using disk management to setup and format the disks.

Edited by Dibba

schoondoggy

Update - All done for OS install on SSD.  

See here for service pack:

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/index.aspx

Okay, So I've got Windows 8 installed :) !!!!  Next - Install two data drives and still be able to boot from SSD.

These are my next steps:

1) Push in two HDD at the front - Bay 1 (3TB) and Bay 2 (1TB).

2) Press 'F5' to go to RAID array controller

3) Setup new drives as RAID 0 x 2 (per drive) - will have 3 logical drives now.

4) Reboot and test if it still boots into Windows from the SSD.

Done.  It still boots into Windows, but the two data drives do not show up?

You need to go into Disk Manager in Windows and set them up.

• Like 1

Dibba

You need to go into Disk Manager in Windows and set them up.

Hi, yes that is exactly what was needed.  Thank you.

Updating to Windows 8.1 atm and hopefully to 10 sometime this week if possible.

How are you guys are going to be using your servers?

My plan is to install PLEX media server and use it as a server to share my family photos, music and video.  I'll also use the server to act as a backup for my photos/images off my main PC.

Ideally I'd like to be able to create an extended family photo folder and share the folder with family members via the use of a password. This is what I'll be trying next (after getting W10 and Plex working).

Thanks for your help SD!

Kotek, have you managed to get yours sorted?

I got my iLO license from eBay if it helps dude.

Edited by Dibba

Kotek Besar

Hi Dibba, schoondoggy and all.

Thanks to you guys I now have Windows 10 installed.

I followed the video guide above and updated to the October 2015 firmware. After that I tried installing W10 exactly as I had before, from USB (not via iLO) and it worked. No "We couldn't create.." nonsense.

So, looks like updating the firmware is what was required. Hope this helps any future readers of this thread with the same problem. Thanks again to all who have helped with this. Without you all, I'd still be pulling my hair out.

Now I have a new problem. Why did I buy this microserver? An impulse purchase, seemed like a bargain at the time. My poor credit card.

• Like 2

Dibba

Hi Dibba, schoondoggy and all.

Thanks to you guys I now have Windows 10 installed.

I followed the video guide above and updated to the October 2015 firmware. After that I tried installing W10 exactly as I had before, from USB (not via iLO) and it worked. No "We couldn't create.." nonsense.

So, looks like updating the firmware is what was required. Hope this helps any future readers of this thread with the same problem. Thanks again to all who have helped with this. Without you all, I'd still be pulling my hair out.

Now I have a new problem. Why did I buy this microserver? An impulse purchase, seemed like a bargain at the time. My poor credit card.

Good to hear!  Well done for sticking with it!  It can be really difficult sometimes and all it needs is for someone to share their knowledge to help you out.  This place is great for that; lots of friendly and helpful people...

Haha, I'm in the same boat again with regards to buying the server.  However, I've decided to use it for Plex mainly, a place to store stuff to free up space on my home PC and maybe try to attach my CCTV cameras to so that they actually record.

• Like 1

Kotek Besar

^^ sounds like a plan. Think I'll do the same..

colinw

Why is it so hard to download the latest service pack !

I clicked on the link that Dibba kindly provided and signed in and end up at "contracts and warranties"

So i can't find the download link at all.

Thanks