RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Kotek Besar

Can't install Windows 10

Kotek Besar

Hi folks,

I'm new here, and I'm a microserver virgin.

This is what I have:

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T 1P 4GB-U B120i Non-hot Plug SATA Server

(819185-421)

Sapphire 11190-09-20G AMD Radeon HD 6450 Silent 2GB DDR3 Graphics Card

Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB

Rocketek Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy Bluetooth Dongle (mac compatible)

FDD to SATA Power / BERG to SATA Power Adaptor Converter, HP Gen 8 Microserver

Western Digital Red 3TB NAS hard drive

Extra 4gb RAM stick (identical to stock 4gb stick / HP part), making 8gb in total.

The 120gb SSD is to be the boot drive. The 3tb HDD is to be for storage. SSD is connected via floppy adapter. HDD is in bay 1. BIOS settings are default. I've gone in to Intelligent Provisioning and created 2 arrays, RAID 0.

I'm trying to install Windows 10 as I've now completely given up with trying to hackintosh it. I've got the driver (extracted from cp024079.exe using 7zip). I'm at the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen. I've loaded the driver from a folder on the USB Windows 10 installer that I have connected, and my drives are now visible. I select my 111.8gb drive and create a new partition. But the problem is I then get..

"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one....".

Any help most welcome!

See pic:

1y4ks3.png

jmwills

Did you create that partition using iLO?

Kotek Besar

Did you create that partition using iLO?

No. The logical drive was created in intelligent provisioning, then the Windows installer recognised it (after loading driver) as an unformatted drive, but as you can see it wont do anything with it.

schoondoggy

Intelligent Provisioning is limited to supported OS's and Windows 10 is not one of them. It may work, but I would do a manual install with the ISO on one USB and the drivers on another. Be sure both USB are plugged into USB 2.0 ports.

Have you updated the BIOS and all of the firmware?

Dibba

Hi,

I'm in  the exact same boat.  I'd like to boot into Windows from SSD in ODD bay and have some separate drives for storage in the front 4 bays.

So C:\ for main OS drive, then any subsequent drive added via the bays as D:, E:, F:, and G: etc...

So far I have:

Installed the 64GB SSD and the front two drives.  

Setup raid 0 on the the SSD using B120i controller.

Get the same message as you do "We couldn't create..."  - I have uploaded the new drivers and installed them for the raid controller and still no difference...

How many RAID 0 arrays can the B120i create?

Ideally I'd just like to use the AHCI mode, but when I do and install windows 8.1 normally, I get "Windows can't be installed on Drive 2, partition 1".  I have only got one drive installed in the ODD bay and all others are out by an inch.

It says

Name                             Total Size          Free space    Type

"Drive 2 Partition 1: VID         250.0MB          19.0MB          Primary"

Even though the disk is 64GB in size?  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. 

PS the date on my bios says July 2015.

Edited by Dibba

iamdabe

Intelligent Provisioning is limited to supported OS's and Windows 10 is not one of them. It may work, but I would do a manual install with the ISO on one USB and the drivers on another. Be sure both USB are plugged into USB 2.0 ports.

Have you updated the BIOS and all of the firmware?

I want to add to this that I installed Windows 10 on my gen8 last week using this method (although only 1 usb, and just copied b120i drivers to sub folder on the Windows 10 USB). I couldn't get the MS Media Creation Tool to work so just Rufus and made a UEFI GPT usb boot device. I've 4 drives in total all configured raid 0. OS SSD (240gb) on ODD and then 3 hdd in the bays.

All I can think is that IP doesn't like W10. I did try to install W10 that way but I couldn't even get it to recognise my w10 iso.

• Like 1

Kotek Besar

Thanks everyone, for the advice.

I want to add to this that I installed Windows 10 on my gen8 last week using this method (although only 1 usb, and just copied b120i drivers to sub folder on the Windows 10 USB). I couldn't get the MS Media Creation Tool to work so just Rufus and made a UEFI GPT usb boot device. I've 4 drives in total all configured raid 0. OS SSD (240gb) on ODD and then 3 hdd in the bays.

All I can think is that IP doesn't like W10. I did try to install W10 that way but I couldn't even get it to recognise my w10 iso.

^^ that's exactly what I'm doing. Except that I used the MS Media Creation Tool rather than Rufus. Maybe I'll try making the USB W10 installer with Rufus..? I'll try it now..

Kotek Besar

Hmmm.. still no luck.

So I rebooted and pressed F5 to go in to Intelligent Provisioning. I deleted the RAID array for my 120gb SSD and for my 3TB HDD. I figured I'd delete both the arrays, leaving the two physical drives unassigned and let Windows configure them during installation.

Well, that didn't work. At Windows 10 install, after loading the driver to let it see the RAID drives, it actually saw nothing. So, rebooting again, pressed F5, back in to Intelligent Provisioning. Re-created array, RAID 0, for the 120gb SSD (I left the 3TB HDD unassigned). Back to W10 setup, loaded RAID driver, found the drive but then the same bloody message "We couldn't create a new partition..".

Shall I just sod it and turn RAID off in BIOS and use AHCI instead?

jmwills

Did you try Rufus?

Kotek Besar

Did you try Rufus?

Trying right now as we speak..

..quick question though, why should I select in Rufus "GPT partition scheme for UEFI", rather than MBR? Another thing, isn't the Gen8 BIOS and not UEFI?