RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dragon_Void

Where to put home server

Dragon_Void

I am aware that there is already another thread on here covering the same subject, but I'll prefer not to bump an old thread like that. I'm not sure if this is the correct t subforum either.

Where is the best place to put a home server, and all of my networking gear? Where does everyone else have it stored? I've been thinking about putting it in the roof, but that place gets very hot very quickly. Not ideal for computers and such.

schoondoggy

What is the weather like where you live? Hot-Cold-Humid-Dry

How much equipment do you have?

Do you have a basement or garage? 

Dragon_Void

What is the weather like where you live? Hot-Cold-Humid-Dry

How much equipment do you have?

Do you have a basement or garage?

Weather is, well, in summer it gets very hot (last month we even saw 36 - 40 degrees Celsius at a point). In winter it is relitively cool. It tends to be very dry, with huge thunder storms over the summer period at times.

Equipment wise: on Dell Poweredge T20, two Gen 8 Microservers, a N40L and a few routers, with two switches, and a modem.

Have no basement (vary rarely see houses with basements here), but have a garage, which doesn't have any space left in it.

Renny

A few considerations:

You need the server to be accessible so you can plug in a monitor etc for trouble shooting

Ventilation should also be a consideration for a 24/7 machine

Put it as close to your router as possible to make fault detection easier

For your consideration 

Dragon_Void

A few considerations:

You need the server to be accessible so you can plug in a monitor etc for trouble shooting

Ventilation should also be a consideration for a 24/7 machine

Put it as close to your router as possible to make fault detection easier

For your consideration

Shouldn't need a screen. ILO makes life easy. The two without ilo should be fine without a screen.

Ventilation is where I'm stuck. The roof is a no go, unless i build an enclosure of some type in the roof, and get cool air into the enclosure somehow. The garage is too full already. The shed gets just as hot.

It all goes to a switch, which goes to a router, so it won't make that huge a difference how far away the router is. The router will however move in with the servers.

Renny

Perhaps a cupboard which you can vent to the ceiling with a low power fan to assist in evacuating that heat? 

cskenney

My thoughts (and decisions like this are always based on experience, practicality and basically what you want).

You haven't really stated what your outside environment is like (40C in summer with thunderstorms  = periods of high humidity I would assume).  Winter is cool but dry?  (cool as in 0°C?).

I would not store my computer hardware in the ceiling under a roof unless I had created a temperature controlled environment.  Nothing destroys electronics faster than high temperatures.

You have ruled out your shed (again I would skip this if it is not insulated or temperature controlled).  I would actually also skip using a garage for the same reason.

So you are back to space inside the home.  Do you have a closet somewhere that could be used?  I have seen people take a small closet and fill it with their computer hardware.  They modify the closet to allow airflow in and out to control the temperature.

Other options are to take a pieces of furniture and turn it into a storage cabinet.  People have modified the bottom of TV stands (cabinets) to hold servers but again heat and airflow must be considered.

with as much hardware as you have listed, where do you have it located now?

Dragon_Void

My thoughts (and decisions like this are always based on experience, practicality and basically what you want).

You haven't really stated what your outside environment is like (40C in summer with thunderstorms = periods of high humidity I would assume). Winter is cool but dry? (cool as in 0°C?).

I would not store my computer hardware in the ceiling under a roof unless I had created a temperature controlled environment. Nothing destroys electronics faster than high temperatures.

You have ruled out your shed (again I would skip this if it is not insulated or temperature controlled). I would actually also skip using a garage for the same reason.

So you are back to space inside the home. Do you have a closet somewhere that could be used? I have seen people take a small closet and fill it with their computer hardware. They modify the closet to allow airflow in and out to control the temperature.

Other options are to take a pieces of furniture and turn it into a storage cabinet. People have modified the bottom of TV stands (cabinets) to hold servers but again heat and airflow must be considered.

with as much hardware as you have listed, where do you have it located now?

Yes, there are periods of high humidity, and it reached 0 or even less at times.

I don't have a open closet at the moment, but I'm sure I can relocate all of the stuff inside the closet elsewhere, and use a closet for my servers.

Right now the equipment is standing alongside my computer, but it's getting a little tricky to move around with my computer all over. I'm thinking a closet with a few fans to push and pull air through might be a good idea.

jmwills

You could use a closet and install an exhaust van in the ceiling of the closet, much like a bathroom exhaust fan.  Allow for some ventilation in the door so the fan can pull air through.  This is subject to you having a one story dwelling or an available closet on the second floor.

schoondoggy

Do you have a room/lab where you work on computer gear?