RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Going round in circles getting my ML10v2 setup

emailrob

Please bare with me, I'm still relatively new to networking and servers

I have an older Proliant server with WHS 2010 on it which was fine but too slow for Plex and other functions.

I put my old hard drive into it and wanted to install Windows Server 2012 R2 (I have a key for that)

When I went to install it via USB ISO, it would not find the hard drive in the windows setup. It said no drivers were available. So I researched and found I need HP SPP to get the unit provisioned so all the correct drivers are loaded, then can install server 2012.

I registered the device on HP website as apparently the drivers are now locked down (!). After registering my serial it said my initial warranty was expired and would not give me the software. I contacted HP about this, as it is a brand new unit from newegg. The 1 year warranty is active, but as the 'initial setup' warranty was expired I could not download the SPP ISO from HP.

I found this file on the HP FTP some other way and downloaded the ISO SPP2015060.2015_0605.106.iso (4.7GB)

When I try to mount the ISO boot up it says 'Could not find kernel image:vesamenu.c32'

So now I'm taking the SPP ISO, using the HP USB Key utility, and its currently writing to the USB. I hope this will work??

I also tried Localhost guided update web using the SPP ISO, but it says 'Cannot perform the operation now. Reason: User does not have administrative rights to proceed with the inventory and update.'

Honestly I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing, and really appreciate any guidance!

Minor update: the HP USB Key installed OK on the local machine, went through the firmware update. Right at the end - Mozilla crashed and would not recover... :(

You only need SPP for setting up the RAID.  

You need to find the B120i drivers, which will come down as a small .exe - you can extract that, put it on your USB, and then load the driver when you get to the point in the installation when it asks which drive you want to install on.

• Like 1

Thanks. I got those drivers and installed them in the setup. It gave two drivers to install: HP Dynamic Smart Array Accelerator, and B120i SATA RAID Controller.

I installed both, hit refresh, but nothing else happened. No storage listed.

I rebooted and tried the whole thing again, and same :(

I only select the B120i SATA RAID driver.  If it's still not picking up a drive then, you'll probably have to boot the SPP and set up your boot drive as a single drive RAID 0? 

• Like 1

I only select the B120i SATA RAID driver.  If it's still not picking up a drive then, you'll probably have to boot the SPP and set up your boot drive as a single drive RAID 0? 

Yes, I think your spot on target.

emailrob:  Have you checked out the series of blogs starting with http://homeservershow.com/setting-up-my-p-ilo4-advance.htmlwhich may be helpful

Thanks for the replies. I eventually got it to work. I think it was two problems 1) the storage was not provisioned in the storage setup 2) the Hard Drive I was using was not correctly being picked up. I ended up formatting it completely during the install and that got it working.

Server is now installed and my main file drive is back up and running. Now doing a gazzillion windows update before I find out how to share my folders back to my home network, plex, crashplan etc :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not to hijack this thread but my N40L died, also running WHS 2011 with StableBit Drivepool and it ran wonderfull for years. Didn't want to invest anymore money in to an old server so I also bought the ML10 i3 version though, and planned to install Win 8.1 (Only because it's licensed and I don't have the funds for Server 2012) and continue to run DrivePool for my mixed sized drives. Is this ML10 over kill for what I want to do? Should I have just bout a desktop motherboard and CPU and gone that route?

Not to hijack this thread but my N40L died, also running WHS 2011 with StableBit Drivepool and it ran wonderfull for years. Didn't want to invest anymore money in to an old server so I also bought the ML10 i3 version though, and planned to install Win 8.1 (Only because it's licensed and I don't have the funds for Server 2012) and continue to run DrivePool for my mixed sized drives. Is this ML10 over kill for what I want to do? Should I have just bout a desktop motherboard and CPU and gone that route?

Well I bought a cheap Server license so it wasn't an issue. The ML10 seems pretty powerful and it only get me 275 (the processor alone is 200, but there's a replacement out now). I may even dump my old desktop and put the video card in and see how it runs. It could turn into my main PC.

• Like 1

Well I bought a cheap Server license so it wasn't an issue. The ML10 seems pretty powerful and it only get me 275 (the processor alone is 200, but there's a replacement out now). I may even dump my old desktop and put the video card in and see how it runs. It could turn into my main PC.

I picked mine up on Amazon open box for $180, it's and i3 with only 4gb of ram. I figure my little N40L was only running 2gb and an 8 year old processor, so even going with the i3 is a hugh step up. I looked for a replacent mother board for the 40L as I really liked the size but only thing I could find was the N54L board at $165 shipped and it was a refurb. I got a little nervous when I saw your post and still wondering if I made the right decision.