RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Micro Gen8 - moving from single OS to esxi - advice on storage setup please

bob808

I currently have an ubunu server install on my Gen8 Mircroserver (xeon 1265 and 16gb ram) working today.  This is currently used as a tv backend with tvheadend using an internal dvb-s2 card and media share for a number of openelec kodi clients.

When I got the microserver I had to setup my SSD in the optical bay as a single raid 0 array as it wouldnt boot from this drive otherwise.  I didnt have to configure any other drive, they were just picked up by ubuntu so I was able to mount and share them.  I have 4 6tb drives in the bays but they are not setup as any kind of RAID at the moment.

I am looking to add esxi so I can have my ubuntu server as was (running as a VM), but also have a couple of other VMs for testing different things in both linux and windows.

I have installed esxi 6.0 onto an sd card and this boots ok, but doesnt see the drives that are not in the raid array.  If I turn off raid and just go AHCI the drives are seen but it fails trying to create a datastore and the logs indicate this is a driver issue with the controller not being setup correctly?

I know I will need to downgrade the driver for the controller card as I have read about the poor performance, but this shouldnt impact the visibility of the drives should it?

Can I do anything to make these drives visible to esxi or do I need to set them all up as raid arrays to be visible and usable?  I should be able to setup a raid if more appropriate and move the existing data off so I can put it back over once created.

So - can anyone advise how I should setup the drives so I can utilise them in esxi?  I assume I need to create a datastore from the drives then make these visible to the relevant VM but first I need esxi to see them and be usable - so do I need to tackle the AHCI issue to make them usable, or manage by using the raid arrays?

Thanks!

First off (i know it's lame to ask these questions, but it gives us/me a baseline to work from)
-What version of ESXi 6 did you install on the SD card??
(you'll need the HP ESXi 6.0 or 6.0u1 image, but i am kind of expecting you already chose the right one)
-What version of ILO firmware does your MS Gen8 run??

-Are all firmwares and bios-es updated??

Because ILO and firmwares are #1 cause for this kind of weirdness.

-Are all 5(?) disks defined as raid 0 in the B120i? If not then that is a likely cause as well.

I get 95-110MB/s on my MS Gen8 NAS over gbit connections so I think they either fixed the performance issue or i have the correct driver installed by accident...

<edit> it would help if one would use a real raid controller when working with ESXi, as you have read there's "issues" with the driver </edit>

Edited by H00GiE

It's the latest HP Ido from the VMware website revision date Jan 2016.

Currently only the ssd is setup as a raid0 array the others are not - this works with Ubuntu but they are not visible to esxi this way. If I change to ahci mode then all drives show but I get errors using them.

So should I just set them all to raid 0 and get on with it? Any downsides in doing this or should I look at alternative hypervisors?