RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Network speed ML10 v2

gibster

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea why the ML10 V2 is reporting it's connected at 100mb when it is actually hooked up to a 1Gb port? It's direct to my Fritzbox. Everything else connected through the home network is reporting correct connection speeds. I've tried moving ports on the router around, rebooted the router and the server, and still get the same speed reported from both ends. I guess it could be wiring since the server is in a back bedroom and the router is in a hall computer room.

Any ideas?

As soon as I get some stuff cleaned up around here I'll try moving the server out here to see if a direct connection will make any difference.

Cheers

Do you have another device with a Gigabit port that you could connect in the same location? or a Gigabit NIC you could put in the ML10 v2?

Do you have another device with a Gigabit port that you could connect in the same location? or a Gigabit NIC you could put in the ML10 v2?

That's a thought. I'll take my dell laptop in there and hook it up and see what speed is reported for that.

Thanks

You do have the ML10v2 turned on, don't you?  Mine links at 100Mb when in standby, and only comes up to 1000Mb when booted up (connected to a HP1910 switch).

If it's staying at 100Mb when booted, then it's most likely you've got a faulty cable.

Normally, I would connect to a switch rather than directly to a router, even though you may have gig ports available on my router.

The only exception to this (IMHO) is if you are using your router to do VLANs, and you have a port on it attached to a WAP (with public and private VLANs) and you're making sure your server is only on the private VLAN - and that's if your switches don't support VLANs.  Not saying you can't do it your way, but I probably would plug your server into a switch going into the Fritzbox; that also gives you an advantage in that it's usually (though not always) easier/more convenient to LAGG a switch rather than a router if you want to use both NIC ports.

Edited by LoneWolf

Hooked up my Dell Laptop today and only connected at 100mb. So swapped to a new nic cable and 1gb. Shutdown laptop, reconnected cable to server and server is now 1gb. So poor cable into the trash. 

I've only got a 5 port GB switch on my computer desk hooked up to printers, a NAS, my old HP Media Smart Server. I have another Fast switch in the media cabinet with TV, Topfield PVR, Apple TV, Telstra TV box, Austar sat box, Win7 media center, and a BD player connected to it. The 3 network connections coming out of the wall, go to the router, the switch to the router, and my desktop to the router. I'm going to pick up a new 12 port switch for the desktop so everything can be plugged into that. I've got a Shield Pro from ITUS Networks which will then be plugged in between the switch and the router. 

Just too many projects and not enough time :)

Any recommendations on gigabit switches?

Cheers

Edited by gibster

Depends on whether you need any of the following:

Management

VLAN support

PoE

If you don't need those, a Netgear GS116 should be fine.  Small footprint, 16 ports, fanless, solidly made

If you need management, a used Dell PowerConnect 2816 on Ebay will be cheap, and solidly built.  New they're overpriced, and used is just as good. 16 ports, unmanaged by default, but can be set to managed.

If you need PoE, there's several choices.  The Netgear GS110T 10-port PoE Managed is inexpensive for everything it does.  10 ports, managed, PoE and VLAN support.  Once again, used will save you money.  That's how I got mine, my Dell 2816 and my Cisco SG300-10MPP.

Edited by LoneWolf

Depends on whether you need any of the following:

Management

VLAN support

PoE

If you don't need those, a Netgear GS116 should be fine.  Small footprint, 16 ports, fanless, solidly made

If you need management, a used Dell PowerConnect 2816 on Ebay will be cheap, and solidly built.  New they're overpriced, and used is just as good. 16 ports, unmanaged by default, but can be set to managed.

If you need PoE, there's several choices.  The Netgear GS110T 10-port PoE Managed is inexpensive for everything it does.  10 ports, managed, PoE and VLAN support.  Once again, used will save you money.  That's how I got mine, my Dell 2816 and my Cisco SG300-10MPP.

I've bit the bullet and ordered 3 new Netgear switches. Now everything will be on Gigabit instead of just the main work area and single point devices at the end of the in wall network runs.

1 x Netgear GS116 16-Port 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet Switch

2 x Netgear GS108E ProSafe Plus Gigabit Switch - 8-Port 10/100/1000, QoS, VLAN, Loop Detection

The 16 port for the main desk where my ADSL modem router, workstation, HP Media Smart Server, 2 printers, and termination points for the network runs throughout the house.

One 8 port in the lounge for the TV, Apple TV, BD player, DVR, Media Center, Sat Box, and Telstra TV (Australian ISP). (Probably should have gotten another 16 port for here :)

One 8 port in the back bedroom which has the HP ML10 V2, a TV, DVR, Dell Laptop, and an Xtreamer WinKey (Win10 PC in a USB Key configuration).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fritz Box is factory default 100Mbit on LAN 2- LAN 4 Port called : Green Mode.

To switch to Power Mode 1Gbit you have to log into FB / Homenet / Network / Networksettings and swith the Ports to "Power Mode" 1Gbit.

Fritz Box is factory default 100Mbit on LAN 2- LAN 4 Port called : Green Mode.

To switch to Power Mode 1Gbit you have to log into FB / Homenet / Network / Networksettings and swith the Ports to "Power Mode" 1Gbit.

I'd done this when I got the FritzBox a year ago. Nice modem/router. Hope to be seeing fibre to the node here soon. The NBN contractors are installing the equipment a block away now. So in the next few weeks/months should have 5 times faster internet :)