RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hp Proliant Gen8 - Installation and configuration

TechNick

I have recently upgraded and purchased a Gen 8 as a present to myself and running into a few issues. I must admit i am not to familiar with using raids etc as i have just used a folder sync tool to backup my files.

I have a gen 8 which has 4 drives from my previous server, which i would like to keep my data.

I split a molex power cable using an adapter because  i couldn't get my hands on a fdd adapter.

This is then connected to the 2 sata connector on the motherboard.

With no drives in i managed to get installing server 2012 onto my machine and everything was working correctly with bios settings set to achi. I think inserted my 4 drives into the server and then it would boot and would continue to boot from NIC. I then set the bios settings to legacy which would boot to the windows logo and then restart which i am assuming its because i installed under ahci.

I then after some troubleshooting as i hadn't set much up on the server to use the built it raid controller which i believe is the b20i or something as not near my server now. I created a raid0 on my standalone ssd and it works fine and boots up correctly. The issue now is that my 4 main drive will not show in server although they show in the management software to create arrays etc.

I don't particularly want to raid any of my drives as i am not sure this will give me any personal benefits over my existing hdd folder sync tool. What i am trying to achieve is to have my hdd populated again without losing any information that is on them. The only thing i haven't tried is installing server under legacy mode in the bios but was just reaching out to anybody that could help.

Thank-you in advance 

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I think you just have to load the Windows Server 2012 driver for the B120i raid controller available here : http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5390291&swItemId=MTX_bfee1893119f4682b990ccbc85&swEnvOid=4168

I loaded this driver from a usb key during the installation of Windows server 2012, but I'm sure you can load it post-installation too.

The system was then capable to see my old drives and their NTFS partitions easily.

If you come from a linux flavored server and your drives are formatted with EXT format, you can use this tool too mount the partitions in Windows : https://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/

Hope this helps !

Rock'

I have recently upgraded and purchased a Gen 8 as a present to myself and running into a few issues. I must admit i am not to familiar with using raids etc as i have just used a folder sync tool to backup my files.

I have a gen 8 which has 4 drives from my previous server, which i would like to keep my data.

I split a molex power cable using an adapter because  i couldn't get my hands on a fdd adapter.

This is then connected to the 2 sata connector on the motherboard.

With no drives in i managed to get installing server 2012 onto my machine and everything was working correctly with bios settings set to achi. I think inserted my 4 drives into the server and then it would boot and would continue to boot from NIC. I then set the bios settings to legacy which would boot to the windows logo and then restart which i am assuming its because i installed under ahci.

I then after some troubleshooting as i hadn't set much up on the server to use the built it raid controller which i believe is the b20i or something as not near my server now. I created a raid0 on my standalone ssd and it works fine and boots up correctly. The issue now is that my 4 main drive will not show in server although they show in the management software to create arrays etc.

I don't particularly want to raid any of my drives as i am not sure this will give me any personal benefits over my existing hdd folder sync tool. What i am trying to achieve is to have my hdd populated again without losing any information that is on them. The only thing i haven't tried is installing server under legacy mode in the bios but was just reaching out to anybody that could help.

Thank-you in advance 

Nick

Now that you have enabled the B120i and set the SSD as a single drive RAID0, you need to set the other four drives as single drive RAID0. I would do this one at a time. Your data should stay in place, but be sure to have a good back up just in case. If you put all four drives in at once, it may try to make a four drive RAID0 array and that would erase your data.