My Vms (datastore)

-Nethserver (Firewall)

-Zentyal (AD)

-Unitrends (Backup Vms)

-Win7 (Lab)

-win serv 2012 (lab)

-centreon (monitoring)

- VM Nas (replace my nas) maybe Freenas or OMV

1) After some research, I do not find confirmation compatibility with a Intel i3 4340

2) Do the following ram are compatible:

a) SAMSUNG 8GB DDR3-1600 M378B1G73QH0-CK0

B) SAMSUNG 8GB PC3-10600R DDR3-1333 ECC REGISTERED M393B1K70DH0-CH9Q9

I want to upgrade it to 16go

3) I'd buy 2x ST4000NM0033 (4to) that I intended to put in my current nas but they are not compatible.

a) there are the gen with 8?

Indeed on the data sheet and on a test I have read, it is written: 4x3 = 12TB Max, or I read that some people had put 4to discs and 6to

B) If so, I would still be limited to 12TB Max or I can get up to 4x4 = 16TB?

4) No possibility to hack to add a hard disk more? Maybe with: SDM R3?

thanks for your help!

Edited by droido

1. The Microserver Gen8 is socket 1155 so the i3-4340 will not work. One option from HPE is i3-3240.

2. M378B1G73QH0-CK0 will not work, it is not ECC. M393B1K70DH0-CH9Q9 will not work, it is Registered.

3. There is no drive capacity limit on the MicroServer Gen8. 4TB x 4 will be 16TB.

4. There are four swapable drive bays and one SATA port for the ODD. In its standard configuration you could install four 3.5" drives and one 2.5" drive/SSD. With the SDM R3 and SSB's you could mount four 2.5" next to the power supply in addition to the four drives in the front bays and a drive in the ODD bay, but you would need to add more SATA ports.

Based on what you want, I'd be looking at either a Lenovo ThinkServer TS140, or an HP Proliant ML10 v2, with the base model Xeon E3-1220v3.

1.  You'll get hardware virtualization and VT-d for Direct /IO.

2.  You'll get space to go up to 32GB of RAM.

3.  If you wish to add more network adapters, a 2-port or 4-port NIC wouldn't take your only expansion slot (that is, you'd have more slots free).

I think you might find the 16GB limit cramped based on what you want.  The Proliant, like the Microserver, has the advantage of dual NIC ports to start with, but with as many VMs as you want, I think there's a good chance you'll want more network ports.  The Microserver might do as a start to serve your needs, but it sounds like you might outgrow it.  You're also going to want at least the base Xeon E3-1220L v2 processor on the Microserver, upping the cost.  Going Xeon right away with the ThinkServer or ML10v2 will be cheaper., and have four cores instead of two like the 1220L.