RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dvn

Core i Series in large businesses

dvn

This is particularly aimed at those who work in the corporate environment, but feel free to comment.

How would you convince IT to skip over the Core 2 Duo as they replace older computers and move directly to the Core i Series? I understand the upfront cost of the box alone is more. But besides that, what other factors would shy them away from this?

Secondly, does anyone know of a business (I'm mainly talking about large businesses) that is moving forward with new Core i Series computers?

Edited by dvn

cskenney

Where I work our IT is very slow to adopt the latest tech. We are still using IE6 as our corporate standard. I think it all comes down to what will work for the company for the least amount of money.

Sent from my HTC Incredible

dvn

I understand that yours will be the common answer. But I'm curious to know if anyone works at, or has a friend who works at a company that is actually taking the plunge.

IE6? Steve Gibson would have a coronary. :P

Alvin Ramard

Take a look at the Intel website. There might be something there to help you.

cskenney

IE6? Steve Gibson would have a coronary. :P

My company has stuck with IE6 because of some legacy Oracle applications that are not compatible with newer versions (or so they say). We have screamed loudly because there are now websites that will not support IE6.

jmwills

I contract for a very large "business" and as items hit their lifecycle replacement, they are being replaced with the best technology available. However, I have yet to see any i Series processors here as of yet.

dvn

My company has stuck with IE6 because of some legacy Oracle applications that are not compatible with newer versions (or so they say). We have screamed loudly because there are now websites that will not support IE6.

Ah, yes. The legacy problem. Microsoft's lament. The balloon that hip Mac'sters love to toss their darts at. :) What a drag. Everyone in the workplace crabs about it except for the 4 or 5 people that control the budget's purse strings, right? I guess that's typical. Still wondering, though, if any company has made the move. Anyone?

Guest no-control

Wouldn't i series in a corp environment actually be an x series? Xeon is the onlyt hing I've seen adopted in large businesses.

dvn

Wouldn't i series in a corp environment actually be an x series? Xeon is the onlyt hing I've seen adopted in large businesses.

I was thinking of the office workers.