RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

LFHelp HP410 + ESXi

davidgtk

First post on the forum and fairly new to the whole server thing.

I've upgraded CPU/ram and installed ESXi 5.5 (HP iso) and got a few VMs running and it has all gone smooth until now. 

I installed a P410 with 512MB FBWC and the plan was to passthrough to a VM and run WHS or Ubuntu for FS and backup but I'm having trouble getting it to work.

*BIOS shows no sign of the P410. Isn't it suppose to?

*During boot there is no sign of the P410. (?)

*In ESXi the adapter doesn't show up under controllers (where the B120i shows up) but when looking at passthrough options I can find 512MB flash cache for B something something (not at home atm so not 100% sure).

*Tried installing drivers via ESXi SSH (VIB) for the controller but it doesn't wont to update or install.

*Tried updating firmware via ESXi SSH but getting error saying that adaptor was not found (or something like that)

For some reason I'm having trouble entering Intelligent Provision if that says anything...

Any ideas? I'm kinda stuck atm.

Edited by davidgtk

I would boot the server with the offline ACU to see if it can find it, you may have a bad P410: http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3984647&swItemId=MTX_3c888073127c4c65b7bd8559eb&swEnvOid=1005

Cheers!

Yeah only the B120i shows up. Anything else I can check? No SATA drives are connected to the controller btw, figured it should atleast show up in the bios anyway right? Mean it doesn't show up with a IRQ number or anything. Guess I can't try and remount it physically and unplug the FBWC.

Since I'm a total ESXi newb I find the "Hewlett-Packard Company HP 512MB Flash Backed Write Cache for B-Series Smart Array" in VSphere "Mark devices for passthrough a bit odd but I'm guessing I'm mixing things up?

On page 17 is the description of the LED's on the P410:

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3883890&docId=emr_na-c01608507&docLocale=en_US

That may shed some light on what is happening. If the P410 does not show in the ACU it is likely dead.

Thanks again! Finding things on the HP site is a nightmare.

Unplugged the FBWC & battery and the bugger showed up everywhere, BIOS/BOOTSCREEN/ACU. Crossing my fingers and putting the things back together.

The lights seems to be showing all OK according to the PDF you linked.

Thanks for your time!

Right so after a few days I've been trying everthing and I have no idea what's going on.

Atm I have no disk connected to the P410 but it doesn't seem to matter, it's just random. Sometimes the controller shows up on boot and sometimes it doesn't (cold boot/unplug the cable). I've updated to the latest firmware using SPP (6.64 I think I ended up with) one of the times that the controller was actually running.

Currently the system is booted, the controller is now showing up in BIOS and LED 6-7 are green.

What is this though?

D2PBL8K.png

Only seems to be showing up when the controller is plugged in but not working (not showing in BIOS)

What is this though?

D2PBL8K.png

Only seems to be showing up when the controller is plugged in but not working (not showing in BIOS)

Ignore it. It is an optional upgrade for larger Proliants with the B120i "controller". The necessary slot for the FBWC upgrade doesn't exist on the microserver. No idea why the virtual device appears even though the hardware isn't present.

Ignore it. It is an optional upgrade for larger Proliants with the B120i "controller". The necessary slot for the FBWC upgrade doesn't exist on the microserver. No idea why the virtual device appears even though the hardware isn't present.

That's what I mean though. It only shows up when the P410 is connected and NOT working (not showing up in BIOS). Conflict?

That's what I mean though. It only shows up when the P410 is connected and NOT working (not showing up in BIOS). Conflict?

No. It still shows up with my P222 card with FBWC. There is no conflict. The Dynamic Smart Array controllers like the B120i are completely different to the real Smart Array controllers like your P410 or my P222. Different drivers and firmware since the B120i is actually the Intel chipset SATA controller with a HP driver running on top.