RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How much storage do I need to run 10+ VMs?

a5ian300zx

Hi, 

I want to finish building a powerful lab but i have a question around the setup in particular in regards to the size of storage i would need to host the VMs which are going to be used purely for lab testing etc for now.

I have a Supermico server

Supermicro SYS-5028D-TN4T with 128GB Ram

I want to try and run all of the following VMs if possible

DC - AD, DNS, DHCP
Exchange 2010 
SQL Server
SharePoint server
Server 2012 + SCCM
CA - Certificate Autority 
Security - UTM
Small App - FTP, Monitoring tools etc
Back-UP - Veem or Backup Exec
Virtual SAN
Office 365
Windows 7 and 10 

ESXI 6.01 - Is running off USB stick
2 x  WD Red Pro 3TB drives which I am going to do Raid 0   - these will host the 2 x Datastores, OVA templates 

1 x (drive) - VMs, Swap files, logs 

Question is I would probably need a storage with high IOPs but what size disk would i need to host all of the above VMs in Lab environment?  trying to up skill myself :) 

I have 1 x 500GB samsung Evo 850 not sure if this is suitable for all of the above in terms of storage and IOPs or would i need to look at M.2 or pcie 3 storage?  

Any advice is always appreciated.

Thanks  

For all of those VM's, you are going to need at least 1TB for the virtual hard drives.  If you setup SQL and SharePoint correctly and according to best practices, that alone could eat up 400 gigs.

• Like 1

I might leave Sharepoint out for now.

I was thinking of placing the database for SQL on the WD RED Pro drive which will slow it down.

Would I need a drive with much better IOPS for the above?

Thanks

All of this depends on how many users will be hitting those sites.  SQL is a memory whore and if you try and run SQL in conjunction with SharePoint with anything less than 12GB of RAM, you will be disappointed.

It's been while since I poked around Exchange but it was pretty demanding for RAM.  There was a standard for each user needing X amount of RAM.

If this is strictly for testing, I would leave everything as is for now to establish a baseline.  If you can live with that, then fine.   Which version of Share Point are you installing?

500GB SSD gets you quite a bit of thin-provisioned storage. I'd say go for it and see how it goes. Just remember to always change it to thin-provision, as the default is thick-provision.

Thanks for all your feedback.

I was thinking Sharepoint 2014 it is purely for lab environment only so no users will be on it accept any dummy account i create for testing.

Is there any downside to using thin provisioning?

Thanks

It might be 2012, but going to leave out share point on concentrate on the main stream servers and apps.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's either 2013 or 2016, which will be released next Monday.  You could run SharePoint as an All in One box to include SQL and leave another VM for a dedicated SQL box.

• Like 1