RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Just picked up a Gen8 G1610T, CPU upgrade options in 2016?

scottjs

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. 

I own 2x N40Ls which have been great little machines. My storage server has run out of capacity so I thought it would be an opportunity to upgrade to the Gen8 and maybe decommission one of the servers. 

I picked up a G1610T in the hope of upgrading the CPU, but it looks like the available CPUs are difficult to obtain these days and "Processor FAQ" is a bit out of date now. 

I've had my eye on the 1265L but it seems to be out of stock everywhere:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008DM1A2E?keywords=xeon%201265%20v2&qid=1457430733&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Does anyone have any advice on where I can look for CPU upgrades, or perhaps other processors that might work?

Requirements:

- 12TB storage

- Software raid

- 16GB memory

- 3-4 linux VMs

- Plex transcoding

- Minimal load

Thanks,

Scott.

shame for me as it can only ship to US verified address :(

I have just bought the i5-3470T for £75 on ebay UK

What are  the best thermal compounds I can use for the upgrade?

New here but I wanted to add that I too have just picked up a Gen8 and loving it. Was in the same boat as the OP and I initially bought an i5-3570k to go in the box as I assumed any LGA1155 processor would work (that was prior to actually doing research).

Sadly the i5-3570k didn't get past post and would hang at 90%. but it's not all bad I've since found a bargain i3-3240 on Amazon ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008F65MQ8) for £50 which is currently winging it's way to me.

Also this non ECC memory didn't work: Crucial CT2KIT102464BA160B 16GB (2X8GB) DDR3 240 Pin PC3-1600 CL9 Unbuffered UDIMM ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AZGZFF4 )

You need to look for non-registered ECC memory.

Searching for PC3-12800E is a good starting point. (The E is important)

Hi everyone, been reading here a while but never posted anything yet. Thanks for all the amazing information everyone provides. I too took the bullet and bought an i3-3240 but after installing it last night I can't get past the 30% post point in the bios without it restarting again and looping over and over. I've taken out my pci graphics card and just left the stock 2 gb ram that comes with the server but it won't start up. has anyone got any ideas? I even dreamt that it worked last night!, but unfortunatley when I woke up realised it was just a dream. never mind. Any help would be greatly apprecieated. oh and before I installed it i did make sure to upgrade the ILO and bios to J06 (july 2015) and 2.30. Thanks!

Edited by blutak

Hi everyone, been reading here a while but never posted anything yet. Thanks for all the amazing information everyone provides. I too took the bullet and bought an i3-3240 but after installing it last night I can't get past the 30% post point in the bios without it restarting again and looping over and over. I've taken out my pci graphics card and just left the stock 2 gb ram that comes with the server but it won't start up. has anyone got any ideas? I even dreamt that it worked last night!, but unfortunatley when I woke up realised it was just a dream. never mind. Any help would be greatly apprecieated. oh and before I installed it i did make sure to upgrade the ILO and bios to J06 (july 2015) and 2.30. Thanks!

It seems your i3 doesn't support ECC memory. From what I observed (only an observation from all the forum reports), only the "T" versions of the processors support ECC. I might be wrong.