RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Tracking Data Usage with pfSense

Dave

Nice!

snapper

[rant]

It's like saying "I've gone X days without a shower". 

[/rant]

pmsl - i love that quote, gonna use it at work!!

mind you, a bit of a generalisation though; not all security patches require a reboot...

• Like 1

itGeeks

Well, Sophos UTM (not sure about XG Firewall) has the option to send you daily/weekly/monthy reports about usage. You can see which clients are hogging all your bandwdith, and how much you've used. (1.5-2TBs/month for me :) )

Otherwise, well .... Dave, did you RTFM? :P

https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/How_can_I_monitor_bandwidth_usage

Sophos XG does have the option to send reporting via email.

jmwills

This is my first post from my new house, using xfinity.  I went with Blast at 75Mbps download speed.  I need to speedtest it to see what the upload is.  $39.99 a month for 12 months. 

I hooked up my pfSense router running 2.1.5.  Looks like there is an update waiting for me as well.  I haven't used it in a while!  Traffic.  I have a cap of 300Gb and have no idea what I use monthly.  I know where to find traffic graphs in pfSense but can't recall if there is a way to start a running usage tally somehow.  Anyone doing this? Plugins maybe?

There is a Java Applet on the Xfinity site that tracks your data.  It's a little hard to find but it's accurate.  That 300GB cap is flexible as long as you don't abuse it several months in a row.

LoneWolf

With Comcast/Xfinity in my area, I'm getting 80-85Mbps down and 12Mbps up according to regular speed tests.

Most firewall/UTM setups have a logging option that's pretty extensive.  In my case, I could either run a Watchguard Log Server or Dimension Server that would give me monthly bandwidth totals, or I could monitor realtime speed by using the Traffic Monitor feature and connecting to a sustained high-bandwidth source.

I would wager Sophos has the same thing.  I've never gotten a cap warning, but then again, I don't think I've ever gotten near it and I don't think I use it quite the same as Dave does (no podcasts or video shows).

Our combination Internet/TV package runs $90/month.  I'm saving by owning my own modem, and having a Tivo with a lifetime subscription (meaning no cable box fee, no HD fee, no DVR fee for per-monthly rentals).

Edited by LoneWolf