RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Tracking Data Usage with pfSense

Dave

This is my first post from my new house, using xfinity.  I went with Blast at 75Mbps download speed.  I need to speedtest it to see what the upload is.  $39.99 a month for 12 months. 

I hooked up my pfSense router running 2.1.5.  Looks like there is an update waiting for me as well.  I haven't used it in a while!  Traffic.  I have a cap of 300Gb and have no idea what I use monthly.  I know where to find traffic graphs in pfSense but can't recall if there is a way to start a running usage tally somehow.  Anyone doing this? Plugins maybe?

cskenney

Interesting timing.  I am switching to TDS Fiber tomorrow.  No bandwidth caps (yet) and I am signed up for 100Mbps down /60 Mbps up service.  I have it bundled so my price is $35/m plus $5 for the gateway device.  I was paying $60 / month for Charter internet which was 60 down and 4 up.

Anyways, I am really interested in seeing if there is a way to maintain a running total on my monthly bandwidth usage (including any data going through a VPN).

Dave

I just did a speedtest on it.  58 down 12 up.  At my other house on fiber I pay $55 for 25 down 25 up.  For the majority of my time there it was 25/5 however. Just the past few months have been 25 up.  I also had a static IP address so that was nice too.  Oh well, i'm a cable internet guy now I guess.

I'm playing around with RRD graphs now to see if I can make this happen but I have to turn it all off and re do the cabinet and shelves.  It's a mess.  Can't wait to put eero over here too!

Dave

Oh, and then relearning port mappings with pfSense.  I'm way too spoiled with easy setup routers!

Drashna Jaelre

Well, Sophos UTM (not sure about XG Firewall) has the option to send you daily/weekly/monthy reports about usage. You can see which clients are hogging all your bandwdith, and how much you've used. (1.5-2TBs/month for me :) )

Otherwise, well .... Dave, did you RTFM? :P

https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/How_can_I_monitor_bandwidth_usage

• Like 1

Dave

Ha Ha. No, I actually didn't.  But...mission accomplished!  I throw you guys softballs all the time!

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

Ha Ha. No, I actually didn't.  But...mission accomplished!  I throw you guys softballs all the time!

:)

When I was using pfSense, I was using BandwidthD, and that worked very well.  

GotNoTime

pfSense supports exporting Netflow data to a collector such as ntopng which will give you a very fine grained view into what is going in/out of your network. You'll be able to see the details of individual connections and how much data was transferred. It doesn't log the actual data transferred. Just source/destination etc...

Netflow is widely used by higher end routers/firewalls so has good support with many different collector packages available to process the data. It might be a little over the top for just keeping an eye on bandwidth usage though...

Dave

That looks interesting. Looks like the package does it all. I may take a look.

mercblue281

This thread reminded me I have to apply a pfSense update as well.  I log in only to see it reporting uptime as 223 days!

• Like 1