RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Just bought a ProLiant ML10 V2 for desktop Win7

MarkJohnson

I just bought this ProLiant ML10 V2 server to use for a desktop running windows 7 HP x64.

I didn't research much as I assumed it would be a similar setup as the N40L I bought a while back.  I was way wrong.

I'm in way over my head.  This thing seems to have an OS for a BIOS?  It doesn't seem to use the built-in Intel video (I need quicksync) nor the Intel AHCI controller.

Is there a walk through on setting this up for the complete noob?  Do I need to be connected to the internet as well?  

I get a prompt in lower left corner of something about iLO 4 IP:Unknown

I've been looking through Youtube with no real success, and been souring the forums for a while and I'm so overloaded with info I can't think anymore.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction.  Oh, I have an SSD I want to use as boot drive, and a updated win7 install USB stick for installation.  I should have a ISO of it saved somewhere.

Thanks for any help

-=Mark=-

To get Intel AHCI go into the BIOS and switch the storage controller from B120i to AHCI. The built in VGA is Matrox as it is part of the iLo4 chipset. You will need to add a video card as I doubt the Matrox will meet your needs. Once you are in AHCI you should be able to install Windows 7. You may need to go to chip manufacturers websites to get the drivers you need. Come back if you need more help.

I've been trying to get into the BIOS for hours.  lol

I get to a setup page and I find a boot controller order but there is only the B120i and no others.

I have a few spare video cards.  So I can set that up later.

Also, I have BIOD - J10 - 02/02/2015.  I know there is at least a June 2015 BIOS available if that matters.  

OK, I found it finally.  It finds my drives.  

Does this thing have a UEFI BIOS?   My UEFI install USB aren't being recognized.  I think they are formatted in GPT.  

I found an old Win 7 SPI Legacy install USB that seems to be working so far.  

I'll let you know how it goes.

Yes, the F9 was the BIOS, it was just called a setup menu iirc.   It was under the top option, System Settings iirc.  There was SATA options I seemed to have missed, or was confused on enabling it.

But I have it working.  Win 7 boots fine.  It doesn't seen to support UEFI, unless I configured something wrong, or by mistake.

Any ideas on enabling fast boot?  or disabling things to speed up POST.  It takes over 3 minute to POST beep from power button.   Way too slow!

Yes, the F9 was the BIOS, it was just called a setup menu iirc.   It was under the top option, System Settings iirc.  There was SATA options I seemed to have missed, or was confused on enabling it.

But I have it working.  Win 7 boots fine.  It doesn't seen to support UEFI, unless I configured something wrong, or by mistake.

Any ideas on enabling fast boot?  or disabling things to speed up POST.  It takes over 3 minute to POST beep from power button.   Way too slow!

It's a real (albeit small) server and I've not found a way to speed up posting on mine. Maybe schoondoggy can give you a clue. 

It's a real (albeit small) server and I've not found a way to speed up posting on mine. Maybe schoondoggy can give you a clue. 

Well, I was looking at the POST screen and there are a bunch of options in the lower right corner and some have boxes and others don't.

Maybe being able to disable server option in the BIOS will speed it up a little.  Being a server I'm sure it wants to do a thorough system check every time, and I can understand that, but 3+ minute for POST seems too long..

Well, I was looking at the POST screen and there are a bunch of options in the lower right corner and some have boxes and others don't.

Maybe being able to disable server option in the BIOS will speed it up a little.  Being a server I'm sure it wants to do a thorough system check every time, and I can understand that, but 3+ minute for POST seems too long..

I agree. I would guess that there has to be some way to speed it up. I don't worry about mine because I'm running WS2012R2 Essentials on it so probably the only time it needs a reboot is after updates.

I know when I was setting it up, those long delays were getting very irritating :)

It doesn't seen to support UEFI

No UEFI on the ML10v2. PC BIOS is all you get.

Any ideas on enabling fast boot?  or disabling things to speed up POST.

No such thing on the ML10v2. You can't do anything to speed it up. That is just how long a Proliant takes to boot. Edited by GotNoTime