RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Fantastic little nano PC for XG?

itGeeks

Anyone tried one of these J1900 Cpus with Sophos or pfSense?

The single thread benchmark is only 527 and as snort is single threaded, won't this impact throughput?

Though I have not tried the J1900 cpu myself many have reported great success with it. I was using an Atom D525 with Sophos UTM 9.x and yes it seemed to struggle a bit with my FiOs internet 150/150 but when I installed the new Sophos XG I was getting my full speed on that Atom D525 so I think the J1900 is no problem for a home user or small office based on my findings and whats available on the internet. If your going to use Sophos then use the new XG, Its lighter on system resources then UTM 9.x as for pfSense I don't know

Edited by itGeeks

snapper

thanks.

i was wandering around the Sophos forum and noticed a post recommending the 2 core HT i3-43xx Haswells were the sweet spot and the basic advice was that more single thread speed was better than more cores...

currently running UTM9 on a USFF single NIC PC with i3-4130T, WAN is AX88179 USB adapter and it runs fine. http://feature.astaro.com/forums/17359-utm-formerly-asg-feature-requests/suggestions/3752786-networking-usb-3-0-network-adapter-support

XG doesn't support the USB adapter, so always interested in new hardware.

Might just through the UTM back into my ESXi box to save on clutter but got fed up of loosing WAN when I was doing something on the host...

itGeeks

thanks.

i was wandering around the Sophos forum and noticed a post recommending the 2 core HT i3-43xx Haswells were the sweet spot and the basic advice was that more single thread speed was better than more cores...

currently running UTM9 on a USFF single NIC PC with i3-4130T, WAN is AX88179 USB adapter and it runs fine. http://feature.astaro.com/forums/17359-utm-formerly-asg-feature-requests/suggestions/3752786-networking-usb-3-0-network-adapter-support

XG doesn't support the USB adapter, so always interested in new hardware.

Might just through the UTM back into my ESXi box to save on clutter but got fed up of loosing WAN when I was doing something on the host...

Your findings are correct, Snort is a single threaded application as of now. From what i hear Snort will be multi threaded in the future. That said many people are running Sophos and pfSence on J1900 platforms with success.

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks

Yes, but you get 6 Ethernet ports and with Jetway you are going to get BIOS updates and support. 

Check the Jetway link, they have several models and options. Here is a different style:

http://www.amazon.com/Jetway-Intel-Network-JBC200F9N-E4IN-B-ADE4INLANG/dp/B00X6GPUO6/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1457278255&sr=1-3-fkmr3&keywords=Jetway+Intel+Celeron+J1900+Networking+Appliance

Lots of options for sure.

snapper

That said many people are running Sophos and pfSence on J1900 platforms with success.

I don't doubt it!

I was just a bit surprised after I had been reading in the Sophos forum about the i3 and snort single threading.

itGeeks

I don't doubt it!

I was just a bit surprised after I had been reading in the Sophos forum about the i3 and snort single threading.

What are you doubting?

Edited by itGeeks