RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Going Green Builds

Lightyears Home

I was Wondering as We the Geeks of the World love new and lastest and greats How often we should look around and Consider what we have and Combine our Resources or Collection ( old JUNK) and turn into some working unit. I have recently found Old Case People The Genral Public threw out and I was able to get a Win Vista Home Box to make all Tapes/LPS into Digtal and All paper and another XP Pro Box with colored Lights around the case and using this as with an old Video Capture Card and Some Usb Camera's and Wirless ( soon ) to Due My Video Monitoring of The Outside and Around the House. i also using Orginal Windows Home server Box in Another Case a Cooler master Cm690 Case serval 500gb Drives and 320 Gb Main drive to back up all Pc's and Laptops on my Network. I am very excited for Both Vail and Auroa and using I7 processor and updated Board and Better Memory. As I agree with those with Media Server which that is my focus as well have I7 in thermal Lake case and lots of Drive storage and Converting Movies to Digtial and whatching on 80inch Screen threw Nice 720i Projector Optima. So i am a True Geek. So Does going Green sound like great intrest to you all? I think so. ROCK ON

Edited by Lightyears Home

Interesting thoughts on going green but sometimes it makes better sense to recycle the old in favor of newer, higher efficiency components (especially where power supplies and more modern CPU / motherboards are concerned).

Good luck on your projects. Looks like you have plenty of work to keep you busy.

That's definitely true. As of right now, I would almost pickup a nettop in favor of trying to refurb an old P4. The nettop is far more power efficient, and it would likely cost as much as it would take for me to make the P4 usable.

But, how many of us are more focused on how cool something is when we buy it rather than how much use we'll get out of it? If we don't re-use it, then its likely going to end up in a landfill somewhere. The BYOB guys mentioned this in their systems component series, but do you really think about your next 3 systems when picking a case or power supply?

That's definitely true. As of right now, I would almost pickup a nettop in favor of trying to refurb an old P4. The nettop is far more power efficient, and it would likely cost as much as it would take for me to make the P4 usable.

But, how many of us are more focused on how cool something is when we buy it rather than how much use we'll get out of it? If we don't re-use it, then its likely going to end up in a landfill somewhere. The BYOB guys mentioned this in their systems component series, but do you really think about your next 3 systems when picking a case or power supply?

[/quote

I do i beleive the world of Pc's is a tool to minimize and improve Life. LOL like George Jettson and Rossie the Robot. :)