RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
HellDiverUK

Any non-IT interests?

HellDiverUK

I'm probably not alone in having a non-IT hobby.   Anyone else got any out of the ordinary hobbies?

jmwills

BBQ, as in smoking.

HellDiverUK

So, I volunteer at a railway preservation society.  I drive 60 miles every Saturday to go get oily while restoring, rebuilding and running steam locomotives and heritage coaches.  We also have some vintage diesels, which are currently mostly unused apart from one which we use in the yard as a shunter (switcher).

So, this is our main money-making loco, a GNR 3-cylinder compound built by Beyer & Peacock in 1936, one of the last class of steam locos in Ireland.  These were designed as express passenger locos to run the Belfast to Dublin trains.  We still do this run, along with railtours and shorter trips at Easter & Christmas for the kiddies.

xkxRfz0.jpg

This is my baby, 142.  I am the person who is in charge of this.  I'm hoping to get her inside this summer for some TLC.  It's a GM EMD JL8, which is an 1962 American built loco based on a switcher, and were used for passenger trains here in Ireland.  It's just a switcher with double cabs, just 950hp but enough for shunting some carriages around the yard.

l3qC2N6.jpg

This is No 85 "Merlin" with the full rake of carriages, taken from the last carriage in the consist, going over the Lagan Bridge in Belfast - I had been on duty from 1am to light the fire:

AGdPPMP.jpg

Edited by HellDiverUK

Drashna Jaelre

table top RPGs.

awraynor

So, I volunteer at a railway preservation society.  I drive 60 miles every Saturday to go get oily while restoring, rebuilding and running steam locomotives and heritage coaches.  We also have some vintage diesels, which are currently mostly unused apart from one which we use in the yard as a shunter (switcher).

So, this is our main money-making loco, a GNR 3-cylinder compound built by Beyer & Peacock in 1936, one of the last class of steam locos in Ireland.  These were designed as express passenger locos to run the Belfast to Dublin trains.  We still do this run, along with railtours and shorter trips at Easter & Christmas for the kiddies.

xkxRfz0.jpg

This is my baby, 142.  I am the person who is in charge of this.  I'm hoping to get her inside this summer for some TLC.  It's a GM EMD JL8, which is an 1962 American built loco based on a switcher, and were used for passenger trains here in Ireland.  It's just a switcher with double cabs, just 950hp but enough for shunting some carriages around the yard.

l3qC2N6.jpg

This is No 85 "Merlin" with the full rake of carriages, taken from the last carriage in the consist, going over the Lagan Bridge in Belfast - I had been on duty from 1am to light the fire:

AGdPPMP.jpg

You sir have the coolest analogue hobby of them all.

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

@HellDriverUK:

I have to agree, that's a pretty awesome hobby.

• Like 1

Trig0r

Hobby, I have 2 kids and a woman that lives in Ikea, I dont have time or space for hobbies lol

• Like 1

Trig0r

table top RPGs.

40k?

Drashna Jaelre

40k?

D&D, Pathfinder, Shadowrun, Dresden Files RPG, Call of Cthulhu, etc. But no 40k. I *do* have budget. 

awraynor

Hobby, I have 2 kids and a woman that lives in Ikea, I dont have time or space for hobbies lol

We moved into our house almost one year ago that needed a ton of renovations. Have wife, 2 kids and most of our 

furniture came from Ikea. Right there with you.