RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

8T WD Red Drives

pcdoc

This reminds me - just noticed Stablebit Scanner reporter SMART Unhealthy on my WSE12R2's boot SSD last night. Saying 90% of life used on a Crucial M4 that's about 1.5-2 yrs old. Steps were proactively taken to move temp files and swap file to physical HDDs. This is disappointing.

This reminds me - just noticed Stablebit Scanner reporter SMART Unhealthy on my WSE12R2's boot SSD last night. Saying 90% of life used on a Crucial M4 that's about 1.5-2 yrs old. Steps were proactively taken to move temp files and swap file to physical HDDs. This is disappointing.

It is probably fine, it may be a garbage collection issue. Are you running the latest firmware? Have you tried running Crucial's utilities in it?

It is probably fine, it may be a garage collection issue. Are you running the latest firmware? Have you tried running Crucial's utilities in it?

Actually, even after it hits "0%" life, I think it's fine. Though, you may see degraded performance as time goes on. And if that's an issue....

Also, if the drive is under warranty, may be worth pursuing that.  Though I've done an RMA with crucial recently... if you didn't buy directly from them, they make it a PITA.

I have been running 4 of the WD80EZZX's in my Gen8 for about 6 weeks very nice drives

run cool are quiet and are alot faster than the WD 6TB Platform upto 67TB in the Gen8 now..

You say the WD 8TB drives are a lot faster then the WD 6TB drives, How so?

You say the WD 8TB drives are a lot faster then the WD 6TB drives, How so?

Because it's a He8 drive, basically.

That and the cache size may be larger.

That's assuming that the model is right, and these are external drives in reference (and shelled, in that case .... or hooked up via USB). 

Because it's a He8 drive, basically.

That and the cache size may be larger.

That's assuming that the model is right, and these are external drives in reference (and shelled, in that case .... or hooked up via USB). 

Thank you Chris for clearing that up for me. I am really itching to get some of these new 8TB drives but with a move underway now is not the time to spend extra money on gear :(

Edited by itGeeks

Thank you Chris for clearing that up for me. I am really itching to get some of these new 8TB drives but with a move underway now is not the time to spend extra money on gear 

NP.  Digging for spec sheets is a PITA sometimes. :) 

But I'm pretty sure stuff like the max sequential reads are much higher on these drives (and if they are He drives, then they definitely are). 

As for the 8TB, since I use DrivePool, I'm very happy with my seagate archive drives (especially as they're ~$100 cheaper than the internal drives).  Also, I'd highly recommend shelling externals. You void your warranty by doing so, and you generally end up with a shorter warranty. 

As for moving, yeah, definitely a bad time to spend money on anything that isn't absolutely vital. :(

I have to say, I'm also very happy with the Seagate Archive drives.  For the price they're great.  Quiet, fast (as long as you're transferring less than 25GB at a time), low power, low heat.  The 8TB Red was a bit of a failure.

• Like 1

I was hoping the price of 3TB or 4TB Red Pros would come down.  But they're at a premium, with no sales in sight so far.  $169 for Red Pro 3TB drives and $210 for 4TB.

I was able to get 3TB 7200rpm HGST NAS drives for $118 each.  Warranty isn't as long, but the failure rate is low, and they have anti-vibration sensors.

Big drives like the 5-8TB models are just too big for me in an array at this point; I can't justify it when a 9TB RAID-5 array (4 x 3TB) is only 1/3 full.  But I can justify upping the rotational speed and performance, and use my regular 3TB Red drives coming out of the server for a 4-bay NAS for backup.

Edited by LoneWolf

Got my replacement drives from WD yesterday.

The 8TB Red is a brand new replacement unit.

The 5TB Reds are "recertified".

I haven't unpacked them yet, I hope to get them fired up this evening, hopefully with much less grinding noise.