RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

8T WD Red Drives

pcdoc

Ouch.

I'm not even close to ful on my 9TB RAID-5.

That said, I just got (for the low, low, price of free) a Thecus N4200 Pro NAS.  Great hardware, with unfortunately lousy software, but it looks nice.  I'm thinking of moving the four 3TB drives from my server in to it for a RAID-5, and putting four 4TB Red Pro drives in the server, or even 3TB Red Pro due to increased performance and warranty, and using the NAS for backup, a job it will perform fine at.

It ain't a Synology or QNAP, but don't look a gift NAS in the mouth.

N4200PRO_ANGLE_LARGE1.png

Edited by LoneWolf

Yes, well I'm sticking to the Seagate Archive v2 8TB now. The WD will be RMA'ed, along with two 5TB Reds that are acting oddly.

Nope, definitely the drive.

Well, it definitely sounds like one of the fans that I tossed earlier this month. :P

8TB on it's way to WD, along with two 5TB Reds.  After 6 years of totally reliable drives from WD, two die within days of each other, and one is DOA.  Humph.

Let's see what WD send as replacements...

I have been running 4 of the WD80EZZX's in my Gen8 for about 6 weeks very nice drives

run cool are quiet and are alot faster than the WD 6TB Platform upto 67TB in the Gen8 now..

• Like 1

As for mini-ITX: Norco ITX-S4 or S8, or SilverStone DS380B (is it horrible that these show up in my auto-complete search list.....)

And from there, the ASRock RACK E3C226D2I motherboard (it's a LGA 1150 socket board with 6x SATA III ports, USB3 and 2x GbE).  I have one, and a Core i3-4130T. Idle, it runs at about 45W, or up to 90W with the CPU and drives were under heavy load. 

I've just taken delivery of a Ablecom CS-M50 case ( http://www.ablecom.co.uk/Products/chassis/CS-M50/), a AsRockRack E3C236D2I, E3-1220 V5 and 32gb DDR4 for my new build.

Running memtest right now, but I'll document the build if anyone is interested?

RAID 10, or alternate solutions. 

But yeah. 

That said, it looks like some of the new 8TB WD MyBooks are going to be using the He8 drives, as well.  

It's a good year for data hoarders. 

Good year for capacity.  I'm still waiting for the price to drop (or a sale) on exactly what I want.

I'd like four 4TB drives in a RAID-10 on my server, then move my four WD Red 3TB drives to my NAS in RAID-5.  Right now, that's about $500 or a bit more.  But I can afford to wait.

I always like having the newest drives in my server.