RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

8T WD Red Drives

pcdoc

I would like one of them to go in my USB3 external backup enclosure that backs up my server.

A 480GB RAID-0 and a 9TB RAID-5 is enough for my everyday storage; I'd just like enough space to back that up (currently running a bit low on a 4TB for that).

This is craziness, Just watch the video. Hew needs anything bigger then a two or four bay NAS with hard drives this big? I will be watching these drives to see how they do.

3,151 sold on Amazon with a 4 1/2 star rating http://www.amazon.com/Red-8TB-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B01BYLY4DM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458766900&sr=8-1&keywords=WD+Red+8TB+NAS

As drives get bigger, you need more redundancy. Or as you get more drives.

If I was building a NAS or Server with these, I would want a RAID-6 or RAID-10 (probably RAID-10), so at least four drives, even though you lose more storage.

A good explanation of why:

http://www.smbitjournal.com/2012/05/when-no-redundancy-is-more-reliable/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1

RAID 10, or alternate solutions. 

But yeah. 

That said, it looks like some of the new 8TB WD MyBooks are going to be using the He8 drives, as well.  

It's a good year for data hoarders. 

I will be interested to see how these perform. Am currently running 8 X 3TB WD Reds in a RAID 6 for my WSE12R2 Ivy Bridge Core i5 server central storage in a full Fractal Design tower case.

For my next server build, I'd love to do a mini itx case with lower power consumption.

I will be interested to see how these perform. Am currently running 8 X 3TB WD Reds in a RAID 6 for my WSE12R2 Ivy Bridge Core i5 server central storage in a full Fractal Design tower case.

For my next server build, I'd love to do a mini itx case with lower power consumption.

Same.  In fact, I think I'll be splurging and getting one of the 8TB Reds rather than more Archive drives. :)

As for mini-ITX: Norco ITX-S4 or S8, or SilverStone DS380B (is it horrible that these show up in my auto-complete search list.....)

And from there, the ASRock RACK E3C226D2I motherboard (it's a LGA 1150 socket board with 6x SATA III ports, USB3 and 2x GbE).  I have one, and a Core i3-4130T. Idle, it runs at about 45W, or up to 90W with the CPU and drives were under heavy load. 

Same.  In fact, I think I'll be splurging and getting one of the 8TB Reds rather than more Archive drives. :)

As for mini-ITX: Norco ITX-S4 or S8, or SilverStone DS380B (is it horrible that these show up in my auto-complete search list.....)

And from there, the ASRock RACK E3C226D2I motherboard (it's a LGA 1150 socket board with 6x SATA III ports, USB3 and 2x GbE).  I have one, and a Core i3-4130T. Idle, it runs at about 45W, or up to 90W with the CPU and drives were under heavy load. 

I would also love to get some of these 8TB drives, Please report back and let me know how they work. :)

Another idea for a motherboard from ASRock with 12 SATA ports http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157475

And this case http://www.u-nas.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17617&cat=0&featured=Y

Edited by itGeeks

The Avalon CPUs are nice too, b ut they are SOC's. But if that's fine with you, then there is no issue wit hthat. 

As for the U-NAS case, yeah, it's pretty awesome, but harder to source, IIRC.

Thanks for the suggestions.  In my server, I currently have a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard with an Intel Ivy Bridge Core i5-3570K CPU and 32 GB RAM.  Do quite a bit of video conversions and run VMs that utilize the CPU and RAM.  Also have an Adaptec 7805 RAID card running all (8) 3 TB WD Red HDDs in RAID 6.  Am dreading the thought of rebuilding this box and reinstalling my WSE12R2 config onto new hardware... that's really what is holding me back.

Also, can't see RAID running off a motherboard performing as well as my Adaptec 7805.

• 5 weeks later...

"Something may be wrong with it". 

ROFLMAO

Understatement of the century. I'm pretty sure that was grinding that I heard.