RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

8T WD Red Drives

pcdoc

The info I am getting is these are WD manufactured drives, Red, Red Pro and Purple, using HGST technology.

Basically, what I've seen as well.

Or more specifically, they're just HGST drives with a WD label (but considering that WD owns HGST ....  )

Or more specifically, they're just HGST drives with a WD label (but considering that WD owns HGST .... )

I am saying that they will not be HGST drives with WD labels. WD and HGST use different designs. Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Or more specifically, they're just HGST drives with a WD label (but considering that WD owns HGST ....  )

and I am mostly wrong, they appear to be HGST enclosures and controllers, but they are running WD NASware. I did not think they could get NASware on HGST controllers.

• Like 1

and I am mostly wrong, they appear to be HGST enclosures and controllers, but they are running WD NASware. I did not think they could get NASware on HGST controllers.

Well, PCPer did a video.  It looks like they're using the HGST case, but using WD PCB and NASWare.

Well, PCPer did a video.  It looks like they're using the HGST case, but using WD PCB and NASWare.

This is craziness, Just watch the video. Hew needs anything bigger then a two or four bay NAS with hard drives this big? I will be watching these drives to see how they do.

3,151 sold on Amazon with a 4 1/2 star rating http://www.amazon.com/Red-8TB-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B01BYLY4DM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458766900&sr=8-1&keywords=WD+Red+8TB+NAS

Edited by itGeeks

This is craziness, Just watch the video. Hew needs anything bigger then a two or four bay NAS with hard drives this big? I will be watching these drives to see how they do.

3,151 sold on Amazon with a 4 1/2 star rating http://www.amazon.com/Red-8TB-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B01BYLY4DM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458766900&sr=8-1&keywords=WD+Red+8TB+NAS

My 36 bay case has 14 bays left. :)

87TBs isn't enough. I'm almost out of space. :)

• Like 1

My 36 bay case has 14 bays left. :)

87TBs isn't enough. I'm almost out of space. 

I would call that a special needs case :D

I would call that a special needs case 

There is a case involved for sure. 

Though, special isn't really the word.  Reddit has a nice sub for that sort of stuff /r/DataHoarder  :)

My collection is apparently pretty small. And my setup, very small, as well. :)