RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

8T WD Red Drives

pcdoc

Western Digital is starting pre-orders of the new 8T Helium filled Red Drives that are expected to ship in April.  They are available on their site for $349.

• Like 1

Western Digital is starting pre-orders of the new 8T Helium filled Red Drives that are expected to ship in April.  They are available on their site for $349.

Good price. Wonder what they will cost in the land down under :)

How many did you pre-order?

• Like 1

From what I've heard/seen, this may just be the HGST 8TB He drives with a WD label slapped on them. At a lower price point.

So yeah, order that quickly. 

How many did you pre-order?

Not enough. Never enough. 

• Like 1

None yet.  I am all set right now and will wait to here on the reliability of these drives.  This is pushing mechanical platters pretty high.  I am also concerned about the helium fill.  I work in the aerospace industry and to keep this filled without leaks will be interesting.  I will hold off a bit and get a couple for my synology if there are proven to be reliable or until my curiosity gets the better of me.

• Like 1

I will hold off a bit and get a couple for my synology if there are proven to be reliable or until my curiosity gets the better of me.

So, by June at the latest, then. :P

Personally, I'll hold off, as the Seagate Archive drives are priced $100~ cheaper, for the same capacity, and I'm not worried about performance. 

From what I've heard/seen, this may just be the HGST 8TB He drives with a WD label slapped on them. At a lower price point.

Except the Red is 5900rpm, and the He is 7200rpm.  I suspect they're more a He-Lite.

So, by June at the latest, then. :P

Personally, I'll hold off, as the Seagate Archive drives are priced $100~ cheaper, for the same capacity, and I'm not worried about performance. 

You never know what the future brings....

You never know what the future brings....

Yup, and unti then, I'll probably keeping the Seagate Archive drives. :)

The info I am getting is these are WD manufactured drives, Red, Red Pro and Purple, using HGST technology.