RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I clearly need help with video format for streaming, NAS, Plex, etc

Dave

Hey Guys,

I started looking at the DS216+ and realize my media collection is a mess.  How can I blame any NAS or player when my stuff is all messed up!  I'm turning to you.  

I have a DVD collection that was mostly ripped with MyMovies on WHS2011.  I have a folder for each movie that contains either a .MP4 or a .MPG file and a VIDEO_TS folder.  I'm not sure why I did it that way as I was not interested in menus.  The MPG files are huge.  This would be a great time to clear up some disk space too.  DVD folder is 1.5TB  Other video folder is 635GB

I ran each folder through a converter once to create a smaller .MP4 version of the file.  So I have a near 2000kbps bitrate copy at 720x480 or close to that on some of the files.  I don't recall what I used to do that conversion.  Those are anywhere from 1Gig to 2Gig in size.  Still a bit big in bitrate and size.

I have an HD video camera that mostly spit out M2TS files.  Some are .MTS.

I have some other home video in M4V format and some .MP4.  Those were conversions at some point as I had an old point and shoot that did .AVI only.  

It's a mess so i'm starting with the DVD folder.  My gut tells me to start over and keep a copy of the messy stuff in case I have a scratched DVD or can't find it.

I honestly want to play them from a NAS to Plex.  I would love to put Plex on everyone's tablet and phone so they could go through the home movies.  I also would like to do that on the Roku as that is our box of choice at the moment.  I'm not opposed to going to a different box but has to have Amazon streaming too.

I would then like to get some blu ray disks done as I don't get those at much at all.  I think I would if they could be streamed.  Containers, bitrates, audio rate, ARGH!  I'm at your mercy of suggestion and I hope it helps anyone else out there in the same mess! 

I'll share everything on a podcast in the future.  Thanks guys.

Dave

With MyMovies I convert the dvd rips to high resolution .mp4 format. This file is roughly 1GB for each mp4 file, around 4GB or so

for the original. Looks good enough on my TV, PC"s, tablets, web, etc. and doesn't stress my QNAP NAS. I play them back in the

house on an Amazon FireTV and FireTV stick without problems. 

For my Home Movies I use Prism Video Converter. I use the free version. It will recursively search and convert to mp4 in this

case. When it decides I have freeloaded enough I uninstall it via Revo Uninstaller and then reinstall for another go around.

Although these movies are scattered I dump them into one big converted movie folder. 

http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/

With MyMovies I convert the dvd rips to high resolution .mp4 format. This file is roughly 1GB for each mp4 file, around 4GB or so

for the original. Looks good enough on my TV, PC"s, tablets, web, etc. and doesn't stress my QNAP NAS. I play them back in the

house on an Amazon FireTV and FireTV stick without problems. 

For my Home Movies I use Prism Video Converter. I use the free version. It will recursively search and convert to mp4 in this

case. When it decides I have freeloaded enough I uninstall it via Revo Uninstaller and then reinstall for another go around.

Although these movies are scattered I dump them into one big converted movie folder. 

http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/

My personal opinion is MyMovies is a mess and not needed for any of this, No disrespect here.

My personal opinion is MyMovies is a mess and not needed for any of this, No disrespect here.

No offense taken. I've got the lifetime option and I've always used it. Mainly the auto-convert function built into the

server product. I do find the metadata management built into it is better than Plex, but Plex is still my go to for

consumption. 

It was quite hard to find a mass converter for my home movies. I found Prism, do you know of anything else?

How about a recommendation of software, and procedure to get this correct for Plex. As mentioned above I have also used my Movies for it's integration for ripping and converting dvds using AnyDVD HD.

I've just gotten a Nimbie USB Plus Blu-ray/DVD Autoloader NB21-BR which I plan to hook up to my new HP ML10 V2 WS2012 R2 Essentials server for ripping 400+ DVDs. The only thing I've found that integrates with this is My Movies.

I'd like to be able to get this correct the first time and not have to go back through everything renaming files, transcoding, etc.

I also plan to add a couple of HD HomeRun network tv tuners and add their integration and DVR funtionality to Plex. 

If I can get this all to work it will really simplify things and help me eliminate one more PC that is now funtioning as a WMC PC.

Look forward to any replies to Dave, AWRaynor, and myself that might come our way.

Cheers

What is your sequence sir? 

How about a recommendation of software, and procedure to get this correct for Plex. As mentioned above I have also used my Movies for it's integration for ripping and converting dvds using AnyDVD HD.

I've just gotten a Nimbie USB Plus Blu-ray/DVD Autoloader NB21-BR which I plan to hook up to my new HP ML10 V2 WS2012 R2 Essentials server for ripping 400+ DVDs. The only thing I've found that integrates with this is My Movies.

I'd like to be able to get this correct the first time and not have to go back through everything renaming files, transcoding, etc.

I also plan to add a couple of HD HomeRun network tv tuners and add their integration and DVR funtionality to Plex. 

If I can get this all to work it will really simplify things and help me eliminate one more PC that is now funtioning as a WMC PC.

Look forward to any replies to Dave, AWRaynor, and myself that might come our way.

Cheers

I have only DVD, no Blu-Ray.

Rip main feature using AnyDVD/CloneDVD and burn to blank DVD. That is then placed into server and automatically ripped to folder format with MyMovies also 

converting a copy to mp4 High Profile. I then check the metadata with MyMovies collection management which usually gets it right.

I have a copy of the mp4 version on the server, an external drive and QNAP NAS, the folder format version is backed up on my main PC, that's a lot of work to rerip and tag if something happened.  The mp4 version looks good enough on web, mobile devices and 720P TV in living room. Plex usually does well with this and monitors the mp4 converted folder. 

It's convoluted but provides redundancy, I'm used to doing it and it plays well with Plex. At some point I though about trying MakeMKV with the full quality folder versions to see if I could tell a difference. 

No blue-ray here so just use AnyDVD and Handbrake. It will line up a 4 disc collection in a (20 minutes on my machine) queue and it appears in plex in under 24 hours with metadata and access via actors, directors, years, newly added or just as a file system.

Hey Guys,

I started looking at the DS216+ and realize my media collection is a mess.  How can I blame any NAS or player when my stuff is all messed up!  I'm turning to you.  

I have a DVD collection that was mostly ripped with MyMovies on WHS2011.  I have a folder for each movie that contains either a .MP4 or a .MPG file and a VIDEO_TS folder.  I'm not sure why I did it that way as I was not interested in menus.  The MPG files are huge.  This would be a great time to clear up some disk space too.  DVD folder is 1.5TB  Other video folder is 635GB

I ran each folder through a converter once to create a smaller .MP4 version of the file.  So I have a near 2000kbps bitrate copy at 720x480 or close to that on some of the files.  I don't recall what I used to do that conversion.  Those are anywhere from 1Gig to 2Gig in size.  Still a bit big in bitrate and size.

I have an HD video camera that mostly spit out M2TS files.  Some are .MTS.

I have some other home video in M4V format and some .MP4.  Those were conversions at some point as I had an old point and shoot that did .AVI only.  

It's a mess so i'm starting with the DVD folder.  My gut tells me to start over and keep a copy of the messy stuff in case I have a scratched DVD or can't find it.

I honestly want to play them from a NAS to Plex.  I would love to put Plex on everyone's tablet and phone so they could go through the home movies.  I also would like to do that on the Roku as that is our box of choice at the moment.  I'm not opposed to going to a different box but has to have Amazon streaming too.

I would then like to get some blu ray disks done as I don't get those at much at all.  I think I would if they could be streamed.  Containers, bitrates, audio rate, ARGH!  I'm at your mercy of suggestion and I hope it helps anyone else out there in the same mess! 

I'll share everything on a podcast in the future.  Thanks guys.

Dave

Boy Dave I saw your post yesterday and I was trying to think of a way to answer your question in a none complicated way and not turn this into a long answer but its just not possible. I was in your shoes about 7 years ago and when I tell you I have tried every possible combination of software possible with bad results I mean it. The NAS should only be thought of as storage, Nothing more noting less. Forget about running any software such as Plex on it because its not powerful enough unless you don't need any real-time trans-coding and even then its going to be a problem. Going with Plex as your media server is a sound choice as long as your not needing TV services, This is my software of choice. Now I am going to give you the less stressful way of setting this up so when you hit play on any device it just plays. You need a Intel Core i5 or above for real-time trans-coding, I was running a Core i5 for Plex and I was able to stream to 3-4 devices at any given time and it all worked very well. You will want to rip all your movie disks to MKV using something like MakeMKV http://www.makemkv.com/

Its free for ripping DVDs but they charge you a small 1 time fee if you want to rip Blu-rays, Its been in beta forever but they keep pushing updates and its worked great for me. MakeMKV is very easy to use and Plex loves the Movies in MKV format, You select the largest track then drill down and select all the audio that's under English and hit MakeMKV and that's it. This will create an uncompressed version of your movie unlike ripping your movie with something like Hand Brake and compressing the movie into MP4. I don't know about you but when I have spent good money on a Blu-Ray disk the last thing I wan't to do is make it low quality just so it will play on everything (hopefully). Some of the best power that comes from Plex is when you let Plex decide and play the highest quality movie that device can handle, When your in the living room using an HTPC and an AV receiver you want the immerse sound of 5.1, 7.1 or what ever your setup is so by ripping the way I do you get all this. If you rip to MP4 you either have to settle for less or make multible copies using diffrent profiles, That becomes a lot of labor and a waste of space in my humble opinion.

Plex recommends a CPU PassMark score of 2000 for every 1080 stream that needs real-time trans-coding so on paper a core i5 will give you two streams but I have done 3 without a problem.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201774043-What-kind-of-CPU-do-I-need-for-my-Server-computer-

• Like 2

No offense taken. I've got the lifetime option and I've always used it. Mainly the auto-convert function built into the

server product. I do find the metadata management built into it is better than Plex, but Plex is still my go to for

consumption. 

It was quite hard to find a mass converter for my home movies. I found Prism, do you know of anything else?

I am sorry I don't know of any converter software.