RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How do you access your server files outside of your home network

capall

Hi all,

I set up WHS2011 couple of yrs ago but am just getting around to needing to be able to access documents/photos remotely, for example using office365 to edit my documents when not on my home network, using either an ipad (with office 365 apps) or a laptop (with office 2016).

How are you doing this?..are you just using the remote access the whs2011 has, or doing some type of sync with cloud storage such as Onedrive, Dropbox etc?

thanks

Derek

yes indeed, figured I'd that comment :P ....thanks..I'm hoping my question doesn't come off as a stupid one, once you get past the title.

I'll get it set up this week and see how the UI bears out. I suspect it won't be a good an interface as Onedrive on an ipad with the office 36 apps

It does seem that possibly the best way to get access docs online with office 365, is to use onedrive on a home PC and have all the docs you want remote access to, kept on that PC's onedrive folder. Then use the server to "back up" the files vs "keeping" all the docs on the server itself and trying to access them remotely via the server.

hey guys,

just wanted to check back with this.

I have office 365 setup on a home desktop. We keep all our files on whs2011. What I want to also do is use ipads (with office for ipad) or laptops away from home (with office online) to access our docs. This would mean installing onedrive on the server and moving all docs that I want to access into this folder. Will that work (ie....installing one drive), and also,  will it have any affects on the shared folders and how they maintained by the server?

thanks

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I set up WHS2011 couple of yrs ago but am just getting around to needing to be able to access documents/photos remotely, for example using office365 to edit my documents when not on my home network, using either an ipad (with office 365 apps) or a laptop (with office 2016).

How are you doing this?..are you just using the remote access the whs2011 has, or doing some type of sync with cloud storage such as Onedrive, Dropbox etc?

thanks

Derek

Well if you want to access your server remotely you can simply access it via a virtual PC using RDC(Remote desktop connection) application or via a browser ! So simple isn`t it ;) 

Adrian Gates

Sr. System Admin - Apps4Rent

Edited by AdrianG001