RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Fried Main Board?

symbiosis

Hi all - an incident of bad luck and I guess carelessness. I was working on my gen8 g1610t, it was running when I knocked a screwdriver and the tip of it touched the mainboard. 

Now when I try to boot I get the red flash of critical error and it wont post

I'm guessing its killed the board - is there anyway to be sure and what is the mainboard in these and what other boards can I use please

Many thanks

Edited by symbiosis

what is the mainboard in these and what other boards can I use please

There are no other motherboards that fit without significant work on changing the case + wiring. The board isn't standard and only fits the Microserver case. Same is true in reverse.

Well guys after many attemots at re-seating everything on the board and getting the same result it miraculously came back to life tonight. Rebooted several times now and its been fine every time. Will do some digging to see if I can find out what happened when I get a chance but fingers crossed...

So HP sent me out a new mainboard and PSU under warranty before it was resolved and I have since been able to get into ILO and view the entry at the issue:

43 Critical Power 02/28/2016 17:16 System Power Fault Detected - not that helpful

The sever has been fine since I got it booted again. 

Now do I swap out the mainboard and PSU that I was sent (and risk the possibility of damage to the processor or something in the process) or risk it and send them back - what would you do?

Better safe than sorry I guess, not sure if HP will have sens new parts or reconditioned, any idea (I know a few IT companies that send out recon boards that are sometimes worse than the ones taken out)