RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System drive - Acronis/other imaging solutions

dvn

I've heard John mention a few times that he uses Acronis to back up his system drive.

While I know that the only officially supported way to perform a new server installation is to use the server installation disk, it would be nice to skip all the Windows updates and possibly(?) the re-installation of all the add-ins.

John, or anyone else for that matter, could you share your experience with that? Is is an easy, safe solution? What are the steps involved? Your impressions? Thanks in advance.

*Also, John, did I hear you mention that you had a way to hook a monitor up to headless units? How are you doing this?

You can also make a "slip disk". For those not familar with the term you take the contents of your original install CD and slip all the updates into them and create a new updated install disk. Works very well.

I've checked out the Acronis server edition, and it's too pricey for me. So I'm resigned to using the WHS Recovery/Reinstallation DVD, doing all the Windows updates, add-ins, and such.

I'm going to set aside time on a weekend and go through the reinstallation process. I want to verify this for myself before I get to far down the road.