RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
capall

anyone using onedrive with whs2011

capall

anyone using onedrive with whs2011, so that yo can edit docs with office 365 online

capall

nobody it seems?......

So if not Onedrive, how do you share you're word/excel  docs in the cloud so that you can access them remotely or with tablets?

I just setup office 365 ios apps and Microsoft Onedrive on my home PC so that I can view/edit/sync any word/excel docs online but for this to work, you must store all your docs in the OneDrive folder. I keep all my docs on my whs2011 server and not a PC, so for this to work I'd have to install Onedrive onto the server, which does not seem to be supported.

derek

capall

thanks,

It just occurred top me that Onedrive/skydrive is somewhat un-needed if I'm running a whs, since remote access gives you what  onedrive gives you, which is to say it gives you access to all your docs from anywhere.

thanks

Poppapete

But a lot simpler to use OneDrive. I have a laptop, desktop and phone all with one drive.  I have the desktop and laptop set to keep a copy of most files on the device. I find it a very good solution.  Even my music is on OneDrive which can be accesses from Groove with no fees. Placeholders are coming back which will make most users happy but as I keep a local copy it was never an issue for me personally.

capall

Thanks

So by using onedrive on your laptop/desktop and phone, do I take it then that you primarily keep you documents in Onedrive and by association on the laptop and desktop, and the server is then used as a backup of that data (vs using the server to keep all the documents and serve them out)

Poppapete

My server is:

A backup server using windows backup and veeam.

A media server using plex and serving 3 sony TV's and Ipads.

A file server for all files not on OneDrive including 3TB of videos and movies

(All on Drivepool and many duplicated on Drivepool)

It also runs my hyper-v OS's of Windows 7 and whatever I am playing with at the time.

(I don't think this is strickly MS legal but I have been a loyal MS guy since I first used MSDOS in 197? so I am sure they won't mind!!!)

capall

Thanks

With the usefulness of Onedrive with office 365 for accessing and sharing docs remotely, I may have to re-eval how I use my server to take advantage of this. I was of the mind set of keeping ALL my files (docs/music/video/pics) either on the server or ALL on a home PC (backed up up to the server), but I guess there's nothing wrong with a hybrid approach.

thanks

Derek

capall

I have, un-intentionally, started another thread going in the the remote access forum, so I think I'll end this one as is and continue with the other post.

Thanks for the help so far.

kpataska

Just installed OneDrive last week on my newly built WHS 2011 server!

I cheat - I copy my local network files TO the OneDrive USB drive, which I force-sync via ROBOCOPY!

That way, I have My Documents sync'd to a local USB drive (that can be taken to the PC I'm using if the spit hits the fan), which is then copied out to OneDrive!

I sync manually once a week, but, it could be scheduled to make it automatic!

No errors, no issues, no BS!