RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ToyCeli22

ML10v2 Drive Cage

H00GiE

I just did a amazon search and found this one in Europe with free shipping, and that's a cage and backplane.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00RTHDEIW/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Looks like an alright deal to me :)

That HP ID corresponds only to the backplane board, that item does not include the cage. someone else linked that same item before...

I was gutted when i nearly gone through the complete process of ordering and realizing it was only the board...

This is the contents of 

(674839-B21) 1 x 686756-001 + 1x SAS Cable
jNfLUTJ.jpg

the US amazon page has the decent product description:
http://www.amazon.com/686756-001-4-bay-hot-plug-factor-backplane/dp/B009SORO5I
Edited by H00GiE

H00GiE

because the ML30 Gen9, ML10 v2 and ML310e v2 Gen8 Drive cages weren't confusing enough:
Here's a picture of a ML310e v2 Gen8 with the optional 8x SFF 2.5" sas / sata cage (this option does need a extra smart array controller preferably with 8i SAS ports.)
Needless to say item 686753-001 will fit the ML10v2 and ML30 Gen9 just as well...  
IGPqyDF.png

Edited by H00GiE

gibster

That HP ID corresponds only to the backplane board, that item does not include the cage. someone else linked that same item before...

I was gutted when i nearly gone through the complete process of ordering and realizing it was only the board...

This is the contents of 

(pic deleted)

the US amazon page has the decent product description:
http://www.amazon.com/686756-001-4-bay-hot-plug-factor-backplane/dp/B009SORO5I

Sorry about that, I think I posted the original link to. Just went by the pic and description on the UK Amazon site.

LoneWolf

Well, the amount of money I saved *not* adding a drive cage to an ML10v2 and getting the ML310e -or if you look at it another way, by not buying the ML30, is enough to buy a Xeon E3-1231 v3; once I'm sure it's all good, I can sell the E3-1220 v3. So it's all good.

• Like 1

H00GiE

Well, the amount of money I saved *not* adding a drive cage to an ML10v2 and getting the ML310e -or if you look at it another way, by not buying the ML30, is enough to buy a Xeon E3-1231 v3; once I'm sure it's all good, I can sell the E3-1220 v3. So it's all good.

Ye, like I said on a other forum: If i could have gotten into the ML310e v2 Gen8 sale sooner i would have gone for that one. but now with all that hardware I added to my ML10 v2 it's cheaper to go for the drivebay upgrade than it is to sell the ML10 v2 and replace it with a ML310e v2 G8.

Besides I only paid €170 for my ML10 v2 

LoneWolf

Ye, like I said on a other forum: If i could have gotten into the ML310e v2 Gen8 sale sooner i would have gone for that one. but now with all that hardware I added to my ML10 v2 it's cheaper to go for the drivebay upgrade than it is to sell the ML10 v2 and replace it with a ML310e v2 G8.

Besides I only paid €170 for my ML10 v2 

Good deal.  I jumped because they were offering a Synology DS216se NAS for free (ML10 v2 server and NAS for $449USD).

What other options do you have planned?

H00GiE

Good deal.  I jumped because they were offering a Synology DS216se NAS for free (ML10 v2 server and NAS for $449USD).

What other options do you have planned?

Since I have the LSI Megaraid card installed

i'll be upgrading it to have The battery installed and i'll be starting to use Cachecade (2.0)

using SSD as 2nd level Cache, so it'll be 512MB ram cache and 2x 128GB SSD Cache for 2x 2TB WD RED or 2x 2tb SAS equivalent

(I have the microserver with 12tb of storage so main goal for the drive array in the ML10 v2 is speed not size)

I really would like to hit that 800MB/s+ drive speed again... seek times on databases will be decreased to almost zero.

Other than that, fill the ram slots to 32GB. (not that i will be needing that... but it's better to have and not need than to need and not have)

Then i'm done :) 

LoneWolf

Well, my ML310 Gen8 v2 came today.

To me, the cage looks the same (at least from the flange) as the ML30.  I did not measure depth, but according to everyone who has done research so far, HP has told them quietly the case is the same and only the front fascia differs.

Looking at all of it, I think it's extremely likely the ML310 parts will fit.  And H00GiE, yeah, I forgot to say it sucks that the differences in currency exchange rates can totally screw the values and pricing.

My plan is to go 32GB (that just arrived), a Xeon E3-1231 v3 (a boost of 300MHz per core, and Hyperthreading) and the SmartArray P222 controller from my Gen8 Microserver.  I'll be migrating my two 250GB SSDs in RAID-0 to the B120i, and my four 3TB WD Reds in RAID-5 along with the P222.  IcyDock ExpressCage for the SSDs.

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1

ToyCeli22

Well, my ML310 Gen8 v2 came today.

To me, the cage looks the same (at least from the flange) as the ML30.  I did not measure depth, but according to everyone who has done research so far, HP has told them quietly the case is the same and only the front fascia differs.

Looking at all of it, I think it's extremely likely the ML310 parts will fit.  And H00GiE, yeah, I forgot to say it sucks that the differences in currency exchange rates can totally screw the values and pricing.

My plan is to go 32GB (that just arrived), a Xeon E3-1231 v3 (a boost of 300MHz per core, and Hyperthreading) and the SmartArray P222 controller from my Gen8 Microserver.  I'll be migrating my two 250GB SSDs in RAID-0 to the B120i, and my four 3TB WD Reds in RAID-5 along with the P222.  IcyDock ExpressCage for the SSDs.

If you haven't purchased parts yet, your future setup is almost identical to mine with the exception of the raid controller and i have it in a ML10v2.. but this is what i have setup in mine currently.

E3-1231v3

Crucial 32GB:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EMA5VU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Icy Dock:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3435034&cm_re=icy_dock-_-17-994-147-_-Product

LoneWolf

If you haven't purchased parts yet, your future setup is almost identical to mine with the exception of the raid controller and i have it in a ML10v2.. but this is what i have setup in mine currently.

E3-1231v3

Crucial 32GB:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EMA5VU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Icy Dock:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3435034&cm_re=icy_dock-_-17-994-147-_-Product

I already purchased parts.  Had I done better research, I'd probably have gone with an IcyDock ToughArmor 4 x 2.5" instead of an ExpressCage, but this will work fine.

I went with Kingston's 32GB kit, which with shipping, was $207 from Provantage.

CPU is on its way from Texas via eBay, which is where I'll sell the E3-1220 v3 once this system is built.

Edited by LoneWolf