ToyCeli22

ML10v2 Drive Cage

gibster    33
gibster

OK, looking at the parts, I can see that my backplane is identical to LoneWolf's. Part numbers, etc., and the little black boxes at the top next to the connectors are actually covers that come off and the contacts are behind them just like LoneWolf's.

I'm wondering now if that is the reason I didn't appear to have power to the drives because the covers were keeping the sleds just a millimeter or so from being able to correctly contact the power contacts in the connectors. Drives appeared to be seated, but maybe they weren't.

Now I'm going to have to give it another go at the end of next week when I have some more time. Damn :)

On one side of my drive caddies you can see HP molded into them. Don't know if they are original HP parts though. I seem to remember the caddies from the HP ML350 Gen3 I was messing around with had very flimsy caddies also, so I don't think that is really an indicator.

gibster    33
gibster

Will try and post some pics of the finished install even though it didn't work (YET).

HPML10V2-062-medium.JPG

Drive cage installed. Connected to HP-P222

HPML10V2-059-medium.JPG

Back of installation.

HPML10V2-063-medium.JPG

Icydock at top contains 3TB server backup drive. Icydock below contains half height DVD drive and 2 2.5" WD Black OS drives in raid 1. Connected to HP P120i

Now to hit preview and see how it looks :)

Great, works again. Thanks guys !

Edited by gibster
  • Like 1

H00GiE    9
H00GiE

Now I'm going to have to give it another go at the end of next week when I have some more time. Damn :)

This cliffhanger is almost as horrible as the Walking Dead season ending.

:lol:

• Like 1

gibster    33
gibster

This cliffhanger is almost as horrible as the Walking Dead season ending.

:lol:

LOL, I'm sure it will work this time (fingers crossed) now that I discovered the plastic protective covers over the contact pins. Very strange there wasn't some kind of marking or warning to take covers off before using. 

I guess I could blame LoneWolf for not mentioning them, but maybe his didn't come with the covers :)

LoneWolf    156
LoneWolf

Mine did not come with covers.

• Like 1

gibster    33
gibster

Mine did not come with covers.

I figures as much, your documentation has been great so I assumed when I finally figured out they were identical backplanes that yours must not have had them. Alls great now that I know what the problems is :)

gibster    33
gibster

Did the reinstall minus the protective covers today and same result. Can't figure out what the heck is going on. Maybe got a bad backplane. I'm going to leave well enough alone I think.

I might just trim off the bottom lip of the hot swap case so the stock power/data connectors fit and at least not have to pull everything apart to just change one drive. Can unplug it from the back and just pull it our from the front. At least that would be an improvement.

I've just ordered the backplane that uses the stock connectors. Don't really need hotswap. Just convenience when changing drives.

BP.png

Edited by gibster
  • Like 1

LoneWolf    156
LoneWolf

Well, it looks like linking pictures works again.  Let's see if this flies.  The one change is that all four drives in the IcyDock are now filled.

hotswapbays_zpstjwqwcs2.jpg

And, an image to show the connection of the backplane.  The two PCIe cards are my Smart Array P420 and an Intel Gigabit ET server NIC.  Anyone making the switch will need an SFF-8087 (both ends) cable to replace the SFF8087 <-> 4xSATA that is there; it just so happens I had one that came with an LSI RAID controller I acquired some time back.

serverside01_zpsmhbre9dg.jpg

And finally, BORGCUBE standing next to SILVERFOX.

micro_macro_zpsiusonssr.jpg

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1

gibster    33
gibster

LoneWolf, it was just plug and play with the power connector for the backplane? I don't remember anything being said about pinout issues, so I'm assuming my backplane didn't work because of some other issue.

LoneWolf    156
LoneWolf

LoneWolf, it was just plug and play with the power connector for the backplane? I don't remember anything being said about pinout issues, so I'm assuming my backplane didn't work because of some other issue.

It is just that.  There are three possible reasons yours didn't work that I can think of.  All involve the SFF8087 (MiniSAS) cable.

1)  The SFF8087 cable is loose either at the motherboard (or RAID controller) or backplane.  This can be touchy, getting it to click can take a bit of finessing.

2)  If the SFF8087 cable is plugged in the wrong way at the motherboard (not possible on the P222 controller, but it is on the B120i) or the backplane.  If so, things won't come up, though the server will power on, nothing's going to light and it won't find the drives.  Your picture looked correct on the backplane; the latch on the cable should be facing outward.

3)  You have a bad SFF8087 cable.  That'd do it too.

The less likely options would be if your drives aren't seated properly (I definitely had to seat mine with the cage and backplane outside the server the first time, they should be good from now on), or if the backplane is bad, but I'd doubt it, yours sounds new.  Mine looked new but was advertised "used" and came with no plastics as previously mentioned so it probably is.