ToyCeli22

ML10v2 Drive Cage

gibster    33
gibster

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the drive bay hot swap backplane, and drive caddies for the ML310e tonight. Canceled the order for the bay from the bay from the ML150.

Now just have to wait a few weeks for them to show up.

LoneWolf    156
LoneWolf

H00GiE, I'm curious --are you sure the system on the left in that picture is an ML310e and not an ML30?

I ask for one reason; every ML310e I've seen has black USB 2.0 front ports, while the ML30 has the USB3 colored-blue-like-you'd-expect ones.

H00GiE, I'm curious --are you sure the system on the left in that picture is an ML310e and not an ML30?

I ask for one reason; every ML310e I've seen has black USB 2.0 front ports, while the ML30 has the USB3 colored-blue-like-you'd-expect ones.

• Like 1

LoneWolf    156
LoneWolf

*deleted* double post and cat on keyboard.

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 2

ToyCeli22    10
ToyCeli22

I haven't been able to find the drive cage, backplane, sas cable for a reasonable price.  Really contemplating exchanging the ML10 for the ML310e but not quite sure the $300 upgrade is worth it for a few nice to haves.

H00GiE    9
H00GiE

Looks like the unit on the left is a ML30.  Here is the blogpost from which it came from:

http://homeservershow.com/unboxing-my-hpe-proliant-ml30-gen9.html

You are right! how did i mis that...  hence my remark the cases side by side are super confusing. Here's all 3 side by side, note the ML30 is the one with the 4x blue usb connectors on the front.

The ML310e v2 Gen8 (most right note the 4 non-blue USB connectors.) is one of many editions, specifically this edition has: multi out 350w psu and non-hot-swap drivebay.

(Remove the metal backplate with cable assembly, replace by hotswap backplane and the bay is hot swap.)

uXAk9af.jpgqqTc6Ij.png

Thanks for clearing this one up, I did not find the photo here, when searching ML310e V2 Gen8 this one came up in google image search. saw the link noticed the url was from the blog portion of the site.

Edited by H00GiE

H00GiE    9
H00GiE

I hope the cat is doing alright ;) But above post should have quoted you too, you came up with the blue USB connector thing.

Anyway now i've made the confusion even bigger by putting all 3 side by side... there really is no difference apart from the bays and notably the usb connectors... 

Stil looking for a reasonable priced drive bay + hot swap backplane. And i don't care if it's from a ML30 Gen9 or a ML310e v2 Gen8 both are the same...

I would not be at all surprised if the parts on a ML30 Gen9 say "replacement part ML310e v2 Gen8 <%insert partnumber%>" it does on the heatsink of a ML10 v2.

Edited by H00GiE

LoneWolf    156
LoneWolf

With the three pictures side-by-side, I'm now reasonably sure that the enclosure is the same.  Which probably means the other parts are too.

All three parts (enclosure, backplane, backplate with cables) are available on eBay US for okay prices if you already have an ML10 v2, and you won't have to wait.

In my case, I found Provantage out of Ohio had one open-box ML310 Gen8 v2 in the SmartBuy configuration (HP part 724977-S01), at a savings of 45 bucks off their regular (already good) price.  I've ordered that.  I found it to be almost everything I wanted, at half the price of an ML30.  And, open box = free shipping for them. $415 USD.

I have to pay a restocking fee on the ML10 v2, but live and learn.  I really want HP Intelligent Provisioning after having it on my Microserver, among other things and I (silly me) didn't realize that the drive cage wasn't at least the caged hot-swap one..  I'll list the ML10 v2 on Craigslist tonight until the weekend at a bargain price, and if I can't sell it locally, it will be RMA-ed (I already have a number).  And I agree, I do love the black, but if I love it that much, I can take the Krylon (spray-can) route. ;)

Only thing is, now I can't name my new server DARKHELMET like I was going to (the Microserver is BORGCUBE).

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1

H00GiE    9
H00GiE

With the three pictures side-by-side, I'm now reasonably sure that the enclosure is the same.  Which probably means the other parts are too.

All three parts (enclosure, backplane, backplate with cables) are available on eBay US for okay prices if you already have an ML10 v2, and you won't have to wait.

In my case, I found Provantage out of Ohio had one open-box ML310 Gen8 v2 in the SmartBuy configuration (HP part 724977-S01), at a savings of 45 bucks off their regular (already good) price.  I've ordered that.  I found it to be almost everything I wanted, at half the price of an ML30.  And, open box = free shipping for them. $415 USD.

I have to pay a restocking fee on the ML10 v2, but live and learn.  I really want HP Intelligent Provisioning after having it on my Microserver, among other things and I (silly me) didn't realize that the drive cage wasn't at least the caged hot-swap one..  I'll list the ML10 v2 on Craigslist tonight until the weekend at a bargain price, and if I can't sell it locally, it will be RMA-ed (I already have a number).  And I agree, I do love the black, but if I love it that much, I can take the Krylon (spray-can) route. ;)

Only thing is, now I can't name my new server DARKHELMET like I was going to (the Microserver is BORGCUBE).

Take a wild(berry) guess what the servername of my ML10 v2 is:

wIpPBKw.jpg

I did find enough people willing to sell it from the US.

The Issue is with shipping, tho the product prices are reasonable, i'm not willing to pay $40-60(USD) for shipping to europe.

Edited by H00GiE

gibster    33
gibster

Take a wild(berry) guess what the servername of my ML10 v2 is:

wIpPBKw.jpg

I did find enough people willing to sell it from the US.

The Issue is with shipping, tho the product prices are reasonable, i'm not willing to pay $40-60(USD) for shipping to europe.

I just did a amazon search and found this one in Europe with free shipping, and that's a cage and backplane.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00RTHDEIW/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Looks like an alright deal to me :)