ToyCeli22

ML10v2 Drive Cage

gibster    33
gibster

The issue I see for the cage for the ML310E is there appears to be about an inch of the cage sticking out in front of the mounting flange and you might not be able to get the cover back onto the ML10 V2. Whereas the part for the ML30 would appear to fit, but might need some dremel work to clear the door/side panel lock. I've got the part for the ML30 on order here in Australia but it's currently on back order so don't know how long that is going to take to arrive.

H00GiE    9
H00GiE

The issue I see for the cage for the ML310E is there appears to be about an inch of the cage sticking out in front of the mounting flange and you might not be able to get the cover back onto the ML10 V2. Whereas the part for the ML30 would appear to fit, but might need some dremel work to clear the door/side panel lock. I've got the part for the ML30 on order here in Australia but it's currently on back order so don't know how long that is going to take to arrive.

It's the EXACT same chassis and exact same mould for the front bezel, just color difference in the front bezel between silvergray (ml310e v2 gen8) and black (Ml10 v2)

there is NO difference in size, if you peel off the (black) sticker next to the HP logo on the front bezel of a ML10 v2 you'll see 4 usb slot gaps in the bezel while only 2 are built in the front of that server.

D8vQQJb.jpg

ML310e v2 Gen8 and Ml10 v2 Side by side (© photo from this site's blog part actually)

If you look closely at the USB ports you'll see they have the same room for the cage. USB connectors stick out about a inch as well...

Edited by H00GiE
  • Like 1

gibster    33
gibster

It's the EXACT same chassis and exact same mould for the front bezel, just color difference in the front bezel between silvergray (ml310e v2 gen8) and black (Ml10 v2)

there is NO difference in size, if you peel off the (black) sticker next to the HP logo on the front bezel of a ML10 v2 you'll see 4 usb slot gaps in the bezel while only 2 are built in the front of that server.

(pictures deleted)

ML310e v2 Gen8 and Ml10 v2 Side by side (© photo from this site's blog part actually)

If you look closely at the USB ports you'll see they have the same room for the cage. USB connectors stick out about a inch as well...

Cool. I didn't realize that. When you look at just the pictures of the bays on ebay you can see that the ML310 sticks out farther above and below the drive area and I just didn't know if there would be an issue with fit of the front panel of the ML10.

Now I can see if I can find an ML310e bay.

Cheers for that.

H00GiE    9
H00GiE

Cool. I didn't realize that. When you look at just the pictures of the bays on ebay you can see that the ML310 sticks out farther above and below the drive area and I just didn't know if there would be an issue with fit of the front panel of the ML10.

Now I can see if I can find an ML310e bay.

Cheers for that.

If ya find one shipping to europe without breaking the bank, i'd like one as well :D

Note: altho, the ml10 v2 does have the 10pin hot swap cage powerconnector, i'm not 100% sure it has the correct pinout.

(it does look like it, and it would be very confusing if it was different, but HP has thrown us for a loop before)

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/proliant-servers/product-detail.html?oid=5392616#!tab=specs

This version of the ML310e v2 G8 has the multi out 350w PSU (which is said to be used in the ML10 v2 aswell) AND hot swap Drive Cage.

The worst thing that could happen is that the connector doesn't fit, or the pinout is different.

then there's 3 options:

Option 1. add the metal plate to make it non hot-swap. (which isn't a real issue for me)

Option 2 is to make a adapter/change pinout.

Option 3 is replacing the powersupply with the redundant version (which also fits fine)

Edited by H00GiE

gibster    33
gibster

If ya find one shipping to europe without breaking the bank, i'd like one as well :D

Note: tho, the ml10 v2 has the 10pin hot swap cage powerconnector, i'm not 100% sure it has the correct pinout. (it does look like it does)

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/proliant-servers/product-detail.html?oid=5392616#!tab=specs

This version has the multi out 350w PSU AND hot swap Drive Cage.

The worst thing that could happen is that the connector doesn't fit, or the pinout is different.

then there's 3 options: add the metal plate to make it non hot-swap. (which isn't a real issue for me)

option two is to make a adapter/change pinout.

(the ML310e V2 Gen8 has a redundant powersupply on the models with hot swap bays.)

Option 3 is replacing the powersupply with the redundant version (which also fits fine)

I've found the cage and hot swap backplane from a supplier in AU for about $240.00 AU.

Here is one listed on ebay which might be in your neck of the woods and it appears to be complete including the hot swap backplane for 116.23 pounds including VAT

http://www.amazon.co.uk/686756-001-LFF-CAGE-4-BAY-SATA/dp/B00RTHDEIW

• Like 1

LoneWolf    156
LoneWolf

Of course, at some point, one realizes one should have just bought the ML30 Gen9.

Sadly, I got mine with a free NAS ($150 value) and the NAS is going to family who need it.

I will await to hear results from the rest of you; I don't need hot-swap, but I do want caddied drives.

• Like 1

LoneWolf    156
LoneWolf

H00giE,

Thanks very much for the informative post.

The more I look at all of this, the more I realize the ML310e Gen8 v2 was the server I should have gotten, not the ML10 v2.  The ML10 series doesn't support Intelligent Provisioning, which I did not know.  The ML310e has the drive cage included.  The ML310e lists my HP SmartArray P222 controller as a supported option, if I recall correctly.  I get more USB ports and a dedicated iLO port.

Before I get too far in this, I'm going to see if I can RMA my ML10 v2.  It is equal or lesser cost to get all of these options in the ML310e Gen8 v2.  I might even wish to look at the ML30.

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1

gibster    33
gibster

Of course, at some point, one realizes one should have just bought the ML30 Gen9.

Sadly, I got mine with a free NAS ($150 value) and the NAS is going to family who need it.

I will await to hear results from the rest of you; I don't need hot-swap, but I do want caddied drives.

That's what I want too. Don't need the hot swap feature, but for the small increase in price might as well go for it.

H00giE,

The more I look at all of this, the more I realize the ML310e Gen8 v2 was the server I should have gotten, not the ML10 v2.  The ML10 series doesn't support Intelligent Provisioning, which I did not know.  The ML310e has the drive cage included.  The ML310e lists my HP SmartArray P222 controller as a supported option, if I recall correctly.  I get more USB ports and a dedicated iLO port.

Before I get too far in this, I'm going to see if I can RMA my ML10 v2.  It is equal or lesser cost to get all of these options in the ML310e Gen8 v2.  I might even wish to look at the ML30.

Knowing what I know now I would have gone for the ML310e myself. But it's been fun building this thing up and haven't really checked to see how much the price difference would have been here in AU for the upgrade.

gibster    33
gibster

Just checked and the ML310e would have been an additional $700.00 here in AU. So I'll end up with a similar machine for a few hundred less, minus the additional features the MB supports in the ML310e (extra fan header, extra USB ports front, and dedicated iLO port (although 3rd port isn't listed in the online specs for that model).

I already had the Xeon E3 1265L processor so that is probably why the price savings is so much.

H00GiE    9
H00GiE

H00giE,

same here, if i knew the ml310e v2 was on sale before, i'd have gone with that one...

on the other hand it's fun to tinker with the ML10 v2 upgrading it to almost a ML310e v2 (and i still think the black door/front looks more appealing :D LOL)

The silly thing is my Ml10 v2 replaced a DL380 G6 but has "virtually" the same config now.

DL380 g6 vs ML10 v2

X5660 6c12t@2.8 (ESXi has 16.8GHz) vs e3-1270 v3 4c8t@3.5 (ESXi has 14GHz)

24GB ddr @ 1333 vs 20GB DDR @ 1600 (soon upgrade to 32GB)

p410 512 vs LSI 9260 4i 512

DL380 G6 used 218w full load vs ML10 v2 one uses 101w full load.

Edited by H00GiE
  • Like 1