ToyCeli22

ML10v2 Drive Cage

117 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Just purchased a ML10v2 to replace my outgrown Microserver.  Does anyone know if the drive cage from the ML210e or the ML30 Gen9 would fit in this?  It would be handy to have drive sleds with a backplane.

Seems to be somewhat difficult to find the one that is supposed to go with the ML10v2  (drive enablement kit)

Thanks!

Edited by ToyCeli22

I'll be ordering one from an ML30 soon and will post whether it fits or not. Looks to me like it should.

I'll be ordering one from an ML30 soon and will post whether it fits or not. Looks to me like it should.

Thanks!

looks like there's quite a few from the ML line that would fit but they're all different part numbers..

Thanks!

looks like there's quite a few from the ML line that would fit but they're all different part numbers..

Yeah I know, guess well know soon :)

The Gen8 ML310e V2 has a 4x LFF cage, would that cage fit a ML10 v2?
I suspect/think the 2 servers are sharing the same chassis, so i think it will.
But I'd like to know if anyone has actually tried it...

The Gen8 ML310e V2 has a 4x LFF cage, would that cage fit a ML10 v2?

I suspect/think the 2 servers are sharing the same chassis, so i think it will.

But I'd like to know if anyone has actually tried it...

That's also my question.  The ML310e cage costs a fair bit less than the the ML30 does.  The cheapest I've seen an ML30 cage and backplane is about $150; I can buy a cage, hot-swap backplane, and four drive caddies for the ML310e for less than $100.

I just want to make sure they'll fit before I do, and that the power cables will work.

I have now found an ML30 cage for $135, but still...be very nice to know ith the ML310e v2 Gen 8 cage will work instead.  We know the caddies are compatible, but all it takes is a difference in a metal mount or flange, and one might not work in the case.  And HP does have different part numbers for the ML30 cage and the ML310e.

If I can't tell for sure, I'll probably have to suck it up and order the ML30, which is on backorder almost everywhere.

I have now found an ML30 cage for $135, but still...be very nice to know ith the ML310e v2 Gen 8 cage will work instead.  We know the caddies are compatible, but all it takes is a difference in a metal mount or flange, and one might not work in the case.  And HP does have different part numbers for the ML30 cage and the ML310e.

If I can't tell for sure, I'll probably have to suck it up and order the ML30, which is on backorder almost everywhere.

Well i did ring HP last thursday (on a different matter), and sneaked my question in..

Their official answer is that they do NOT support that cage for the ML10.

But they do admit that because of reduced manufacturing costs they use the chassis of the ML310e (v2) Gen8 for both the ML30 and the ML10 v2

So the chassis is the same. Which means the fronts are actually interchangeable. 

(theoretically one could just rip the sticker of a ML10 v2 front (blocking 2 USB connectors) and put the black front on a ML310e V2 gen8... (the gen9 black aesthetics just are awesome :wub: ))

They also said the powersupply is the same in the non hot swap version of the ML310e v2 gen8

And the power supply does have the 10p proprietary power supply for the drive cage.

This also means the drive cage is a 100% fit.

HP just doesn't support it, so if there's a issue with it, they won't fix it for ya...

1 person likes this

686745-001 / 686745-002 / 674790-002  - ML310E GEN8 4-BAY LFF DRIVE CAGE ASSEMBLY (cage only no backplate or back plane)
iigkbsO.png
686756-001 / 686756-002 - Hot Swap backplane (no bracket)

HQN7DI7.png
686746-001 / 674792-001 - SPS-HDD BKPLT 4LFF 4U (non hot swap)
Edn92ZW.png
686747-001 - Cable assembly (non hot swap)
Kix8Sfn.png
1 person likes this

Note that the ML30 Gen9 cage mounts look a little different.  Part 822608-B21 according to ProVantage images.

Also note that the backplane appears included with this HP part number.  However, HP's QuickSpecs for the ML30 Gen9 look like a mixture that keeps both close.

I'm making some eBay offers on the ML310e parts.  If they go through, I guess we'll find out.  The ML30 parts are backordered, so heaven knows when I'd get them.

1032653578.jpg

Edited by LoneWolf