RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recommend Adding VMs to Domain?

Is it a best practice to join VMs to a domain?

I'm running WSE12R2 as a home domain server as well as a Hyper-V Host. Have 2 Win 7 VMs running on the server box:

Torrent VM

Win 7 VM

Both are currently setup with the default workgroup (workaround).

? I didn't do it initially in the event I ever shut down the domain, still wanted the VMs to be usable without it. Or have the ability to migrate them to another host independent of the domain.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They won't. But could be moved to another host and run there. Just wouldn't be able to start a VM and login to it then if the Domain no longer exists.

They won't. But could be moved to another host and run there. Just wouldn't be able to start a VM and login to it then if the Domain no longer exists.

Well, yes you can if you removed them from the domain, meaning you would need a local Admin account on the boxes.

Steve Pitts

Is it a best practice to join VMs to a domain?

An interesting question and one that I've been pondering. I'd be interested to hear any ideas, thoughts or experiences. I have a 32-bit Windows 10 running under my 64-bit Windows 8.1 (which will go to 10 at some point in the next few months) which is used to run the one 16-bit application that I still rely on. I haven't joined it to the domain (unlike most of my physical PCs) and I'm really not sure why.

Drashna Jaelre

Well, it depends on the setup. 

Specifically, are you using WSE as the HyperV host? 

If so, I'd really recommend using a different system (or make sure you're not sharing a NIC with HyperV, dedicated to or not used at all, otherwise you will likely experience issues shutting down VMs). 

Aside form that, there should be no issues with joining the VMs to a domain, at least from a technical standpoint.  And even some advanced configurations require/want it. 

Yes, WSE is the host. I have a NIC dedicated to the server itself and another dedicated to Hyper-V specifically for the reason you've indicated.

Steve Pitts

Specifically, are you using WSE as the HyperV host?  

In my case, no I'm not. The host is the Windows 8.1 Hyper-V. If there are no technical reasons for not joining to the domain, and given that the limitations on number of devices (50) is way beyond anything I'm likely to reach in the lifetime of the box itself, I think I'll try it and see.

Drashna Jaelre

In my case, no I'm not. The host is the Windows 8.1 Hyper-V. If there are no technical reasons for not joining to the domain, and given that the limitations on number of devices (50) is way beyond anything I'm likely to reach in the lifetime of the box itself, I think I'll try it and see.

The device limit applies to the devices as per the Dashboard, and not the actual domain itself.  So if you're just joining the domain, it shouldn't be an issue. 

And in this case, you'd only need to backup the host, and not the individual machines.

Drashna, do you recommend joining the Windows VMs to the domain and installing the WSE Connector within them and running backups that way? Instead of adding the VMs via the Windows Server backup scheme?