RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
snapper

Sophos XG updated today - Netflix fixed?

Jason

Now they just need to ready their online migration tool for Sophos UTM 9 to XG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itGeeks

I don't use XG, but got this announcement: https://blogs.sophos.com/2016/02/25/an-important-announcement-about-xg-firewall-and-utm-9-maintenance-releases/

Includes: "NC-5837 - Improve handling of Netflix and other streaming media"

OK all excited I downloaded and installed the update and the first thing I tested was Netflix on Android devices and that was where the honeymoon was over, Netflix still does not work on Android. Would love to know what they thought they fixed.

pcdoc

Yep, tested it also and no obvious change.  Probably needs further understanding of what or how they changed it.  I am still impresses with all they updated and that they are sticking to the road map. Will advise if I discover anything new.

pcdoc

Quick update.  Seems to work with scanning turned off but all other filtering on so there is an improvement.  Working on some combinations to see what will get us there.  It does appear that they have made some changes but we need to better understand how to exploit it.

itGeeks

Quick update.  Seems to work with scanning turned off but all other filtering on so there is an improvement.  Working on some combinations to see what will get us there.  It does appear that they have made some changes but we need to better understand how to exploit it.

Good catch. I have just tested as well and Netflix now seems to work with the web filter 'allow all' instead of 'allow none' so yes making headway, Now if we can just get the AV scanner to play nice. Please keep us posted.

pcdoc

Good catch. I have just tested as well and Netflix now seems to work with the web filter 'allow all' instead of 'allow none' so yes making headway, Now if we can just get the AV scanner to play nice. Please keep us posted.

For the IOS/Android tablet/phone concerns this should make the issue workable.  Create a separate rule that enables the filtering and protection you want and disable AV.  You route all the mobile devices to that and you are good to go.  This is allot better than a complete bypass.  What I heard most were concerned about on bypassing filtering was kids so this should help significantly.  We all need to feedback to their forums which they have bee listening to and make sure we keep the pressure up to further improve this.  The recent release is filled with enhancement most of which were taken from user feedback.

itGeeks

For the IOS/Android tablet/phone concerns this should make the issue workable.  Create a separate rule that enables the filtering and protection you want and disable AV.  You route all the mobile devices to that and you are good to go.  This is allot better than a complete bypass.  What I heard most were concerned about on bypassing filtering was kids so this should help significantly.  We all need to feedback to their forums which they have bee listening to and make sure we keep the pressure up to further improve this.  The recent release is filled with enhancement most of which were taken from user feedback.

Agreed and good points. I do use Sophos security for Android though its not integrated with the new 'Sophos Home' endpoint product yet but I here it may be coming. What else have you seen fixed or enhancements that you been waiting for?

pcdoc

Agreed and good points. I do use Sophos security for Android though its not integrated with the new 'Sophos Home' endpoint product yet but I here it may be coming. What else have you seen fixed or enhancements that you been waiting for?

Most has been bug fixes that I did not see.  That was the main feature update the rest seems to under the hood.  Not complaining as the product was very stable but fixes are always welcome.  Did not even expect the improvements to Netflix till May.  If they stick to the road map, we will see one more MR release before the major in May/June.

itGeeks

Most has been bug fixes that I did not see.  That was the main feature update the rest seems to under the hood.  Not complaining as the product was very stable but fixes are always welcome.  Did not even expect the improvements to Netflix till May.  If they stick to the road map, we will see one more MR release before the major in May/June.

Thanks for the info.