RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HSS 296 eero vs luma vs open mesh vs ubiquiti

Dave

Has anyone done a thorough Ubiquity vs. Open-Mesh comparison with the new AC products?  Do they have support for VLAN's to segregate traffic into different sub nets?  I don't recall much discussion of this in the podcast.

Both seem better suited for either enthusiasts or small businesses that need coverage over a large area, but don't have the budget for a large scale enterprise solution and an IT department.  

I previously tried to create seamless wireless network coverage using Netgear business wireless access points at my parent's business, but there was no simple way to coordinate the access points.  Also I had to use different SSID's because some devices had trouble switching between access points.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• Dave

• schoondoggy

• Jason

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I still view the newer ubiquiti products are better.  The price comparison really doesn't matter because most will not get the cheaper early bird price.   Eero is $499 for a 3 router setu

Not disagreeing with you there but I think there are 2 markets for wifi systems.  The simple to setup like eero and the professional/enterprise systems like ubiquiti.   I think a very key point for

WiFi market extremes: Home: Cheap WiFi Router or WiFi built into ISP's modem. Enterprise: Cisco or Aruba WAP's and controllers, with firewalls from Palo Alto, Cisco, CheckPoint, Juniper, Anecdotal in

geofffitch

Thanks for the episode - it was helpful. Given the more consumer oriented case, I hear you saying that Eero and Luma are basically in the same ball park (excepting some software based features that may or may not be in the early releases.) My question is this - as I understand it Eero has two radios, one used to connect APs to each other and one for clients. I don't see that Luma devices have this - this seems like a potentially significant differentation. Thoughts?

itGeeks

Thanks for the episode - it was helpful. Given the more consumer oriented case, I hear you saying that Eero and Luma are basically in the same ball park (excepting some software based features that may or may not be in the early releases.) My question is this - as I understand it Eero has two radios, one used to connect APs to each other and one for clients. I don't see that Luma devices have this - this seems like a potentially significant differentation. Thoughts?

Welcome to the forums!

Your understanding is correct about Eero however I beleve testing shows its not working very well, Maybe HSSDave can confirm this. As for Luma its unclear how there doing the 'meshing' but if you look at the specs I am going to post judgment that there is a separate radio for it as well, I will try and confirm this.

Wireless
  • IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
  • Simultaneous dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz
  • Bluetooth 4.0 with low energy bluetooth
  • Surround WiFi enabled
itGeeks

Has anyone done a thorough Ubiquity vs. Open-Mesh comparison with the new AC products?  Do they have support for VLAN's to segregate traffic into different sub nets?  I don't recall much discussion of this in the podcast.

Both seem better suited for either enthusiasts or small businesses that need coverage over a large area, but don't have the budget for a large scale enterprise solution and an IT department.  

I previously tried to create seamless wireless network coverage using Netgear business wireless access points at my parent's business, but there was no simple way to coordinate the access points.  Also I had to use different SSID's because some devices had trouble switching between access points.

Welcome to the forums!

As for Ubiquity I am not sure because I use Open-Mesh, Open-Mesh creates a VLAN for the guest network automatically and I quick search show it is possible to do VLAN tagging though I have never done it.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1344976-open-mesh-ap-bridge-to-vlan

https://www.open-mesh.com/solutions/cloud-controller.html

Edited by itGeeks
geofffitch

I heard this from Eero last night:

eero has two 802.11ac 2x2 MIMO radios for simultaneously sending and receiving information. eeros radios are also set up to dynamically determine how to pass traffic between your connected devices as efficiently as possible. This enables you to access a strong WiFi signal no matter where you are in your home.

itGeeks

I heard this from Eero last night:

eero has two 802.11ac 2x2 MIMO radios for simultaneously sending and receiving information. eeros radios are also set up to dynamically determine how to pass traffic between your connected devices as efficiently as possible. This enables you to access a strong WiFi signal no matter where you are in your home.

Looking at the specs I figured as much. Glad we know for sure now.

Regretfully am about to create a RMA to return my unopened Eero 3-pack. Hate to do it as I was looking forward to experimenting with them but already have a bulletproof Open-Mesh wireless network. And with a pending Luma pre-order, doesn't make much sense to keep the Eeros. Since they were had for the pre-order deal price perhaps a relative could benefit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schoondoggy

Regretfully am about to create a RMA to return my unopened Eero 3-pack. Hate to do it as I was looking forward to experimenting with them but already have a bulletproof Open-Mesh wireless network. And with a pending Luma pre-order, doesn't make much sense to keep the Eeros. Since they were had for the pre-order deal price perhaps a relative could benefit...

Not sure what you paid on pre-order versus regular price, but are they worth more to sell them?

itGeeks

Since they are no longer available for the pre-order price instead of RMA them knock 20-25% off list and eBay them and make a few bucks.