RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HDD activity led with HP P222

Mars79

Here an other proud owner of a HP Microserver Gen 8 who decided to go with the HP P222 Smart Array Controller. Installed it yesterday, and everything is working just fine and almost as expected. The card is running quite hot (85c), nothing I didn't see before on this forum, so working on an additional cooling fan.

I also noted that the HDD activity LED (the one on the upper-right of the server, below the network activity led) doesn't light up if an array on the P222 is being accessed. I followed the LED cable and it turned out it goes with a bunch of other cables (the main power LED and the network activity LED) into a big connector into the motherboard. I also couldn't discover a dedicated HD LED connector on the P222. There are some loose connectors, but none of them are labeled HDD LED. I tried switching the integrated b120i on and off, nothing seemed to solve this. This made me believe that the HDD LED only dedicated works for the integrated RAID controller. Do you guys see the same behavior, or is there some way to make the HDD LED respond to the P222? 

Edited by Mars79

I don't have mine to hand until Monday, but pretty certain the little activity light flickers when the storage is being accessed - although it seems to take quite a bit of IO to get it going.

Someone else any ideas?

The LEDs are only for the built-in peripherals. If you've got another NIC or storage controller then the LEDs won't work.

The Smartarray drive access LEDs are part of the SAS sideband connection to the enclosure backplane but the drive cage on the Gen8 Microserver is passive so doesn't support this.

• Like 1