RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need some help please

GeorgiaGoblin

GeorgiaGoblin

Hope this the right place to ask. I moved to Valdosta Georgia in 2014 from Connecticut(land of high speed internet) and now everyone on the street and the local area are on AT&T DSL 

The house is about 18,500 sq feet one story and a Man Cave is about 50 - 60 feet from the house.

Now the house is wired for satellite tv and dsl modem is in the kitchen so the man cave is connected via wi-fi. My wife home office is connect via a Netgear Powerline 1200.

We both use Google Fi Nexus P phones

My other problem is I lost my left foot due to surgery so I can't get up in the attic to do my wiring myself. So if I can find a company to come in and install Cat6 throughout the house and give multiple access points and move the dsl modem and install smart switch but run a dedicated line to the man cave

Or do I get something like Open-Mesh MR1750,

So I am looking for gaming speed in the Man Cave but it would nice to talk with the guys on Teamspeak and not have a ping of 122 + or - 260 

So hope somebody can help me. This all came around when I found David McCabe YouTube channel.

• Like 1

There should be someone there in Valdosta to do this.  After all, VSU is there so you might inquire into the business school or tech school to see if a student wants some extra cash.  I cannot imagine that Valdosta is stuck on DSL as their primary source for internet connectivity.

What's your budget for setting up wireless?  Dave and a few others are testing EERO.

GeorgiaGoblin

There should be someone there in Valdosta to do this.  After all, VSU is there so you might inquire into the business school or tech school to see if a student wants some extra cash.  I cannot imagine that Valdosta is stuck on DSL as their primary source for internet connectivity.

What's your budget for setting up wireless?  Dave and a few others are testing EERO.

I will look into tech schools, yes its only AT&T DSL (Good school district - Bad School Great Internet) Georgia logic. What ever it takes to get better WiFi and yes I wait a review on eero.

I am assuming your house is on a slab?  Up north here we have the choice of running wire through our basements.

Is there a way to pull wire out to your man cave?  Sounds like it is a detached structure.  Is there a conduit from the main house where someone pulled phone or cable TV?

The easiest is definitely going to be a wireless solution but it won't be the fastest.  However, most of us don't care because there are other bottle necks in the system (like a DSL line).

I will look into tech schools, yes its only AT&T DSL (Good school district - Bad School Great Internet) Georgia logic. What ever it takes to get better WiFi and yes I wait a review on eero.

I forgot about Valdosta Tech.  Call the school and ask one of the instructors.  This might even be a class project that you get done for free.

Is there any way to trench an outdoor rated CAT 6 to the cave?  I wanted to do this with my barn when i was in Wisconsin. Never got around to it.

Trenching to the man cave would be the most reliable and consistent.  If you can not do that I would definitely give the MR1750 a try as they have the best range I have seen and you can actually override the power output it sets up for the state you are in to give you a bit of boost.  I found I did not have to do that but it is a nice option.  Dave's idea for trenching an outdoor cat 6 or running PVC to run cables is still the best way.  There must be a handyman or audio video guy somewhere.  Running cable can be expensive.  My cost for a smaller house (2300 sq. ft.) was about $1400 which included Cat 6 and RG56 in each room.

GeorgiaGoblin

Without coming across nasty its a little backward down here when it comes to the 21st Century way of doing things. I live in the no fly zone of Moody AFB so you would think they would be on a fast hub but no. AT&T rule and that's that. If you want a land line you have to wait til one becomes available and instead of upgrading the hub which is about a quarter of a mile away they just add copper loops when more houses are built so that reduces the strength of the signal.

So yes I want to hard wire the house with Cat6 Cable and trench to the man cave. Thankfully the man cave is in a straight line so trenching is not that difficult.

pcdoc thanks for the quote on on wiring the house. So what cat6 burial cable would you buy? 

schoondoggy

Ubiquiti and EnGenius have very good and affordable point to point WiFi.

As for burying cable, I usually use plastic conduit and run Ethernet cable through it, with two nylon twine in case I need to pull more in the future.

Without coming across nasty its a little backward down here when it comes to the 21st Century way of doing things. I live in the no fly zone of Moody AFB so you would think they would be on a fast hub but no. AT&T rule and that's that. If you want a land line you have to wait til one becomes available and instead of upgrading the hub which is about a quarter of a mile away they just add copper loops when more houses are built so that reduces the strength of the signal.

So yes I want to hard wire the house with Cat6 Cable and trench to the man cave. Thankfully the man cave is in a straight line so trenching is not that difficult.

pcdoc thanks for the quote on on wiring the house. So what cat6 burial cable would you buy? 

I would take Schoondoggy approach.  Easier to service and expand and does not require and special cabling.  They do cabling that you can bury but doing the PVC route just makes for sense all around.  Go to monoprice.com for a great selection of cabling options.