RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Comment Thread: Testing Wifi Speeds before trying eero

Dave

Did I miss anything? Errors?

Another thought.  There is a reason that Ubiquiti sells Long Range AP's.  That is clear to anyone who has the 2.4 Ghz system that I have.

schoondoggy

What software tools did you use?

Dave

The easiest software tool I could find.  Windows for local and SpeedTest.net for Internet.  I'm following up the test with a Lan speed test.  So far, same findings.  EDIMax = 30Mbits/s.  Using windows for local testing can be argued until we are blue in the face.  I just needed a base.  Winner/Loser.  However, the app I just used to check LAN speed is backing me up.  It's here:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pzolee.android.localwifispeedtester&hl=en

Dave

UPDATE:

I've had to pull the speed testing results. I just don't trust my method and embarrassingly enough the device I used to test with. (SurfaceBook) I'll update this soon.  I need to revise the method before I publish anything more on speed.  I have some new data but need to check it again!

snapper

Just one observation on your post: you mention that Ubiquiti APs are noisy. Thats certainly true for the older generation, however the new AC range (q3 2015) are silent.

Edited by snapper
  • Like 1

schoondoggy

Xirrus WiFi inspector works well.

Dave

Does it speed test?  I downloaded it but have yet to try it.  My limitation was the Surface. 

cscompton

Interested to hear about your surfacebook results, and is it related to the Wifi Tool app you tweeted about?

The surfacebook is the first non-iOS mobile device I've had in a long time, I was looking for some tool to provide mobile wifi survey/testing with. Interested in your results!

Have you been able to figure out a way to still use your own router and eero as APs only?

Edited by cscompton