RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Frankenbuild

Trig0r

2 hours ago, Trig0r said:

Few threads would suggest that the "LSI" cards from China are fakes..

Have to see what other options there are.

Counterfeit cards is a growing issue.

I usually find cards by just searching on LSI 8i. This seller has 9210-8i for $40, looks like they ship to UK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-9210-8i-8-port-6Gb-s-PCIe-HBA-RAID-SATA-Controller-card-No-Brackets-/252842986107?hash=item3ade9dca7b:g:xj0AAOSwB09YJLX4

Here is a older compare on LSI cards. Always check the specs to see which chip the card uses, newer=faster and cooler, and verify that it can be flashed to IT mode to run as a HBA.

https://www.servethehome.com/current-lsi-hba-controller-features-compared/

• Like 1

Cheers chap, will take a look later and see what fits my plans/budget..

Got some funds from flogging my P222 coming in so should be able to sort something out...

I bought one last year for $100USD on aliexpress (always free shipping to Australia).  It is in my 2012R2E server and never missed a beat.  It is an LSI SAS 9207-8i but don't know if it will fit in your rig. How would I tell if it is a fake!  It works! I should note I am not using RAID in my server but the card is capable of Integrated RAID.

31 minutes ago, Poppapete said:

I bought one last year for $100USD on aliexpress (always free shipping to Australia).  It is in my 2012R2E server and never missed a beat.  It is an LSI SAS 9207-8i but don't know if it will fit in your rig. How would I tell if it is a fake!  It works! I should note I am not using RAID in my server but the card is capable of Integrated RAID.

Aside from comparing it to a picture of a good card, check where it shipped from. If it shipped from china... good bet that it's fake.

5 hours ago, Drashna Jaelre said:

Aside from comparing it to a picture of a good card, check where it shipped from. If it shipped from china... good bet that it's fake.

Why would a card shipped from China be necessarily fake! Aren't most or all of these cards made in China?

Which means they have access to similar parts and schematics.  They'd be in a better position to make counterfeits. 

3 hours ago, Drashna Jaelre said:

Which means they have access to similar parts and schematics.  They'd be in a better position to make counterfeits. 

Drashna, you are a sceptic with no faith in your fellowman or is that Chinaman!

I buy nearly all my hardware from China because I can't afford the stuff that was made in China then shipped to USA (in bulk at a fair price) and then shipped to me as a one off at a shipping price that often is more than the price of the item itself.  But that is a problem for us Australians.