Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Frankenbuild


Trig0r
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Trig0r said:

Few threads would suggest that the "LSI" cards from China are fakes..

Have to see what other options there are.

Counterfeit cards is a growing issue.

I usually find cards by just searching on LSI 8i. This seller has 9210-8i for $40, looks like they ship to UK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-9210-8i-8-port-6Gb-s-PCIe-HBA-RAID-SATA-Controller-card-No-Brackets-/252842986107?hash=item3ade9dca7b:g:xj0AAOSwB09YJLX4

Here is a older compare on LSI cards. Always check the specs to see which chip the card uses, newer=faster and cooler, and verify that it can be flashed to IT mode to run as a HBA.

https://www.servethehome.com/current-lsi-hba-controller-features-compared/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheers chap, will take a look later and see what fits my plans/budget..

 

Got some funds from flogging my P222 coming in so should be able to sort something out...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought one last year for $100USD on aliexpress (always free shipping to Australia).  It is in my 2012R2E server and never missed a beat.  It is an LSI SAS 9207-8i but don't know if it will fit in your rig. How would I tell if it is a fake!  It works! I should note I am not using RAID in my server but the card is capable of Integrated RAID.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Poppapete said:

I bought one last year for $100USD on aliexpress (always free shipping to Australia).  It is in my 2012R2E server and never missed a beat.  It is an LSI SAS 9207-8i but don't know if it will fit in your rig. How would I tell if it is a fake!  It works! I should note I am not using RAID in my server but the card is capable of Integrated RAID.

Aside from comparing it to a picture of a good card, check where it shipped from. If it shipped from china... good bet that it's fake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Drashna Jaelre said:

Aside from comparing it to a picture of a good card, check where it shipped from. If it shipped from china... good bet that it's fake.

Why would a card shipped from China be necessarily fake! Aren't most or all of these cards made in China?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Which means they have access to similar parts and schematics.  They'd be in a better position to make counterfeits. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Drashna Jaelre said:

Which means they have access to similar parts and schematics.  They'd be in a better position to make counterfeits. 

Drashna, you are a sceptic with no faith in your fellowman or is that Chinaman!

I buy nearly all my hardware from China because I can't afford the stuff that was made in China then shipped to USA (in bulk at a fair price) and then shipped to me as a one off at a shipping price that often is more than the price of the item itself.  But that is a problem for us Australians.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...