RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JROrtiz

eero as a bridge and mesh

Jason

It was exciting to pre-order and be part of the Eero launch hype, but after reading reviews, my unopened 3-pack will be returned this week. My Open-Mesh APs along with Sophos UTM and Circle already meets all my needs. Would simply be force-fitting an inferior solution for the sake of doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave

I would agree there Jason.  If you have OM and Sophos running you are good to go.

I have eero as a mesh right now.  Two have home run Ethernet connections and one is setup just as wireless.  On purpose to see how it does.  Using my android Wifi Speed Test app with my Core i7 PC as the server I get 208Mbit/s constantly on the AP's with an Ethernet home run.  When I enter the room of the wireless backhauled AP it is 59Mbit/s.  I am reluctant to say that is bad since they have yet to enable dual 5.8Ghz radios. See quote below.

One of the radios is set up to run on the lower end of 5 GHz, the other is switchable between 2.4 GHz and the upper end of 5 GHz. We have high performance LNAs and tri-band filters so that we can run both radios at once, even if both are on 5GHz. We haven't released firmware to support dual 5GHz mode yet, but soon, soon.

All three eero's update their OS from 1.0.0 to 1.0.3 the first night they were in place.  I looked it up manually because I had heard they might update at night but eero also sent me an email telling me the update happened.  Overall, I couldn't be happier with this system and as crazy as it sounds I would like to try one of the AP's as a router just to try it.  I simply don't have enough of them to cover my house.

Dave

I don't know.  I'll ask them and see if they have it in their support site or somewhere.  The question was a dig at eero and I get it but it's not an apples to apples comparison.  Don't take that as an angry rebuttal or me trying to defend eero.  

So many people are trying to make it (comparison) that and I just don't think it is.  It is not Ubiquiti.  It is not Open Mesh.  Here is something I wrote on another thread here on HSS Forums:  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10788-hss-296-eero-vs-luma-vs-open-mesh-vs-ubiquiti/?p=112882

The end result is that it's not apples to apples comparison.  Eero has a target market that is WAY different than Ubiquiti.  I don't doubt that Ubiquiti is better or on comparison to eero or Luma, Mesh OS, or the next one to come out.  Eero is targeting a different audience.  I can sum that audience up in one sentence.  It took me less than 5 minutes to setup 3 AP's in my house that were freaking fast.  You can dissect that sentence many ways but that is the end result their price point is targeting.

My Open-Mesh APs along with Sophos UTM and Circle already meets all my needs.

This is an awesome system BTW.  I want this.

Jason

Understood. I was simply curious whether they were maintaining a public log of versions and what's included. I too would like to follow it. Personally, I want to see Eero succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave

I do too on both points.  I've started a support ticket on the subject.  Another test!  Let's see how they respond.

pcdoc

In all fairness, we are always too hard on new tech.  If you read my blog post on the OM when I first got it, I had many issues with IOS devices.  The thing that impressed me however is they responded immediately and had a beta posted in just a couple of weeks that has addressed everything.  Lets hope that eero will follow the same path.  If they do get some of these issues resolved soon they will loose some of there biggest fans, us.

WJKramer

Hi Guys & Gals. Long time listener to the show but first time poster in the forum. I have a FiOS install at home. Ethernet from the ONT to the Verizon branded Actiontech modem/router. From there I have a switch and an Ethernet backhaul throughout the house. Previously I had a network of 4 Apple ac Extremes acting as APs. I have always noticed issues with my devices switching from AP to AP as I roamed the house and have been looking at a new solution. I decided to give Eero a try. I swapped the Airports with Eeros which, including setup, took 8 min and 32 sec total. Easy breezy. Most of the time was walking between floors, ha. I placed the initial Erro in BRIDGE MODE using my iOS device do to not being able to bridge the FiOS modem which would loose my TV. Using a WiFi scanner from my mac laptop I see not much different between both set ups. I still see one network with MULTIPLE access points operating in dual band. In other words, with 3 Erros it shows 6 "hotspots" all with the same SSID. In my limited 24hr testing the web loading and streaming defiantly seems IMPROVED over the old Apple Airport set up. I chalk this up to the better hardware internal to the Erro than the 3-year-old Airports, not to the radios. In theory the Airport should have better throughput. 3x3 MIMO Max 1300mbs vs Eeros 2x2 MIMO 867Mbs in 5Ghz AC. I saw a Eero firmware update last night bringing my v1.0.0 to v1.0.4 and doing another WiFi scan this morning the 2.4Ghz radios have gone from 20 width channels to 40 width and 400 Mbs max rate. I don't know if this was turned on as part of the update or part of the network optimization that Eero claims will take place within the first 24hrs. Anyways just thought I would post my results. So far pretty happy with this set up just do to the increase in speed and remote monitoring of my network.

With all that being said we will be moving in August. Building a new house. The unfortunate part is I will be giving up my FiOS service for Comcast. Arg. However, this will allow me to run the Eero NOT in bridge mode. I plan on running a Cat 6 network there as well. Anyways, just some findings and thoughts. Any comments are welcome!

Edited by WJKramer

WJKramer

Some further info...

Today I Released the DHCP lease on the Verizon Actiontech and set the Eeros up as my primary router to test (as the system was intended). Seems to be acting the same as when in bridged mode however I have access to all the advanced router functions now. I am canceling our TV service since the contract is up and we are moving soon so that won't be an issue.

Dave

That is great feedback.  My three updated to 1.0.3 the first night and that is where they sit.  Zero issues so far.