RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JROrtiz

eero as a bridge and mesh

JROrtiz

If appears if you use Eero behind your existing router, you lose mesh and Eero acts as an extender:

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207926343-Can-I-use-eero-with-my-current-router-

I 'assume' they are extending the existing WiFi signal? I would 'assume' if you Ethernet connected it to an existing firewall it would mesh, but that may not be the case.

Whether we are discussing Eero or Luma, neither was designed to run behind another router/firewall. 

I was able to put my eero into "bridge" mode (after getting a friend to come over with his iPhone since this isn't an option yet available on Android, grrr) and as far as I can tell, mesh still works between eeros. I think that article may be referring to the eero being unable to mesh with the primary router which, obviously, it won't do. They should probably update it with clearer verbiage.

Dave

This topic was split off from the "Luma Security and eero" thread.  I thought it had legs of its own.  That topic can be found here: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10447-luma-wifi-security-and-eero/ It turned Luma vs eero in later half of the thread.  This post was pulled out of Page 7. Just for context if you go a read back.

This is pretty good news if true Jose. So three AP's instead of one router/AP and two additional AP's?  

A lot of older or bigger homes terminate the internet in a basement.  Sometimes that spot is not conducive as an access point.  My home included.  My router is in a metal box right now.  If the AP's would mesh throughout the house I would hook each into their own Ethernet backhaul and have a happy wifi home.

Jason

I've done this with Open-Mesh APs. Modem and Sophos UTM in a remote server closet. Each OM AP connected via gigabit Ethernet to communicate with one another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schoondoggy

Sorry guys, I see absolutely no reason to run Eero behind another firewall. If you want to use Eero as a WAP mesh, just buy Open-Mesh WAP's.

• Like 1

Dave

I don't see any problem using it as a mesh wifi system if someone already has a robust router system in place.  Exactly what I did with Ubiquiti.  Granted, with eero you are paying for a feature and not using it.

Dave

Found this on eero help site:

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207937603-How-do-I-set-up-eero-

• If you’re replacing an existing router, one easy option for choosing a network name (SSID) and password is to simply reuse your current SSID and password. This way, you won’t have to reconnect devices that were previously on the network.
  • Keep in mind that running two networks with the same SSID can be problematic. If you have a modem/router combo device – a single unit, often rented from your ISP that acts as your modem and router – please be sure to enable bridge mode on that device. Need help? Give us a call and we’ll walk you through it.

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207613176-What-is-bridge-mode-How-does-it-work-with-eero-and-why-would-I-want-to-use-it-

Dave

I found this in the AMA.  Interesting that dual 5Ghz radio use is not turned on yet.  Could be why wireless backhaul speeds are slow today?

It has a pair of Qualcomm 802.11ac radios and a BT4.0 bluetooth chipset. The processor is a dualcore 1 GHz ARMv7 with 512Mbytes of DDR3L RAM in two banks. There's eight megs of bootstrap flash and a 4 Gbyte eMMC. We have a 24-thread tile processor to accelerate network stuff like firewalls, and the radios are dual-core packet stuffing beasts. We have direct access to the underlying hardware, and we've built our own OS.

One of the radios is set up to run on the lower end of 5 GHz, the other is switchable between 2.4 GHz and the upper end of 5 GHz. We have high performance LNAs and tri-band filters so that we can run both radios at once, even if both are on 5GHz. We haven't released firmware to support dual 5GHz mode yet, but soon, soon.

We've clocked it at 600 Mbits/sec of payload rate over 5 GHz. That's actual UDP throughput, not marketing numbers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/476pzy/eero_is_shipping_ask_us_anything/

JROrtiz

Sorry guys, I see absolutely no reason to run Eero behind another firewall. If you want to use Eero as a WAP mesh, just buy Open-Mesh WAP's.

That's a completely valid point. Had I known about OM prior to ordering eero and had I not gotten eero at the pre-order price, I probably would have just gone for OM. However, if you look at the pricing, things aren't that far off and eero can actually end up being a little cheaper. You also get the whole "ease of use/setup" thing which, after setting it up, I can attest to. For the most part I agree though, if you're just looking for an AP mesh system, OM is probably a better option right now.

• Like 1

Dave

We discussed this at length on HSS Episode 296.  I just need to go push the big button and publish it!

pcdoc

Great point and totally agree.  I really like what eero can become and the premise behind it, however I am not really interested in it being my firewall.  I guess I am old school and want my router/firewall to be separate from my AP's.  I guess as long as it does not impact performance, it does not hurt and the pricing is comparable to OM and they are very attractive units.  What I am concerned about is how the mesh works.  "Typically" mesh performs better is there is a data connection back to your router.  Another words each AP has a home run then when you establish a mesh network you do not get any loss in performance.  If there is not a home run to each AP and the mess is created wirelessly, you pickup extra latency as well as reduced bandwidth.  I am wondering if eero can do it either way such as OM.