RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver upgrade

TLN

Hello.

I'm considering upgrade from microserver(two of them) to some bigger box.

I find this is limitina factors for me:

1. 2 RAM slots - 16 gig max. I have two microservers with 16G in each. I'd like one box with 32g memory.

2. PCI slots. Need more slots: videocard(passthrough), RAID controller(in future), 2nd videocard(passthrough again)

3. case space. I'd like more space for drives, and ability to put a big CPU cooler (and faster CPU).

I consider HP ML10, ML10 v2, Dell T110 II, Dell T20.

In fact this Dell looks really good compared to HPs. I see some good reviews on that site on T20.

So, main questions:

1. What to go?

2. Does xeon v3 makes sense?

3. Anything I'm missing?

I also wanted to ask about Matx case, something more spacious, but my thread is gone.

Personally I'm leaning towards T20, but I need to upgrade CPU then. I can re-use my RAM.

Vic

I'm kinda in the same boat, I want more RAM and expansion and the G8 while still being a decent box is falling behind, I was expecting the G9 to be at least announced by now but nothing..

I'm thinking strip my G8, put the original CPU back in it and then transfer everything else into a custom build box..

Pretty much what I wanna do.

I'm not sure, if i wanna but motherboard only, and place it in another case, or buy whole server and try to squeeze some drives.

T20 sells for under $200 and I need new CPU.

T110 II mobo cost under $100, but I need case, PSU and so on.

Pretty much same thing with ML10(v2) and ML310e (v2). For v2 you need new CPU.

I'm trying to decide which one to get, choice is not obvious to me.

I know the feeling, I've started a thread, we'll see if anyone chips in board suggestions..

I already have a case/psu various expansion cards etc so I'll just be pulling the CPU/RAM/P212 and drive out of the Gen8 and then either selling it with the original RAM/CPU back in it or using it as some sort of NVR for CCTV...

Yeah, the problem is that given what the net price of a base G8 is, 2nd hand resale value is about a conker and a packet of crisps. Then again, I'm finding that a fully loaded G8 with an E3 1290 v2 (yes, it is expensive) is adequate to just about anything I have thrown at it and that I can plausibly envisage throwing at it in the future.

I'm thinking more VM's for testing so for me the limit is the 16Gb of RAM, I'd also like to play with vGPU and more LAN adapters as I have some of the dual port Intel's spare, cant do any of that on the G8 :(

Well, CPU speed is not a problem. I want: more PCI slots, more memory. If this requires replacing CPU with faster model (v3 vs v2), I don't mind it.

I don't have RAID, but that's just yet.

Sometimes I think, that I can move even further, and grab a full size box, with 8 slots for memory, plenty of PCI, and dual CPU, but that's too much.

I gonna use this as my desktop(that's what I'm doing with my microserver now) and extra horsepower is always welcome.

I really want to hear imput from Dell T20 users, as this server looks pretty interesting.

Arguably, with the sort of requirements you guys are talking about (more than 16Gb of RAM, GPUs, extra NICs), G8 was the fundamentally wrong choice of server to begin with.

I cannot say it's wrong descision, it's tiny silent box, with Xeon and 16 gig it's pretty fast.

After using it for 1 year I just came to idea of replacing two microservers with one: I have all the components I need, except motherboard/case/psu. So I can get faster box and more flexibility for little money.