Has anyone around here been successful in setting up Proxmox on a Gen8 using a HBA for storage?
Bit of a random question here, and I know it depends on many factors such as what they are doing etc, but how many VMs have you guys comfortably ran on Gen8 with an E3-1265v2 and 16GB RAM? When did you start to see a performance hit compared to what the Gen8 is generally capable of?
A few questions for those who use Type-1 Hypervisors on their Gen8 MicroServers...
I am looking to try ESXi or ProxMox and have been reading a lot of the threads on here.
Hopefully you guys can help with some harder to find answers I have been seeking.
1) Which would be the better way to setup ProxMox:
a) Hypervisor on Internal MicroSD, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
b) Hypervisor on Internal USB, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
c) Hypervisor and VMs both installed on same SSD (partitioned?) in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
d) Hypervisor on SSD using a USB-to-SATA cable on Internal USB, VMs installed on separate SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
2) Would a 128GB SSD be a ‘waste‘ for installing a Hypervisor on? How much space is typically needed?
3) How many VMs have you guys run on a Gen8 comfortably without it being sluggish?
4) Everyone seems to be going RAID crazy these days. Is there any reason to use it if high-availability is not that necessary and a good backup plan is in place? What is wrong with separate disks (or singular Raid0s)?
5) Does using Type-1 Hypervisors have any effect on the internal fans speed/noise? Is it possible to have 3-5 VMs running and still have the fan speed @~8% as it was when I was using 2 nested (Type-2) VMs?
Sorry in advance if some of these questions are silly, common knowledge, or “depends on what you are doing in the VMs!” 😆
Thanks in advance to all those that help!
First, my specs (briefly):
AMD Opteron X3216
Win Server 2016
The Taskmanager shows only 1 CPU-core instead of 2.
(ref. image 1)
checked msconfig...no CPU-Limit set checked, whether other users see the same amount of CPU-cores in task-manager (ref. image-link (internal) 2)
Anyone out there with an idea to solve this?
New member here, some great info on this forum so hopefully a few of you have experience with the Intel E3-1260L CPU running in a HP Microserver Gen8?
I know for sure it will work as I’ve seen some good threads on here but can anyone tell me if the upgrade made a noticeable difference in the fan speeds and noise?
Im looking at putting two Gen8’s in a living room in place of an old N54L so cautious of too much noise..