RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

POE Switches

schoondoggy

ubiquity makes a nice system for that, seems lots less trouble than trenching and pulling.. thanks for the suggestion.

Ubiquiti and Engenius offer good affordable point to point outdoor solutions. You need clear line of sight and a stable mounting location. Be sure to check actual throughput to be sure it will meet your needs.

LoneWolf

what is benefit of a short fiber interconnect? I have a possible future use for a fiber between main house and an out-building but I would not think of it for two items on the same rack.

Personally, I probably wouldn't use fiber for less than a 3-meter connection.  If you were asking due to the pictures I had, those switches won't be on top of each other for any more than a lab configuration.  The fiber patch cables there are 20-25m, and the switches will be on different floors of the house.  Honestly, uplink via Cat5E+ would be fast enough at that distance; the fiber cables were cheap used, so I'm doing it "because I can". :D

LoneWolf

pulling fiber seems to be a tricky operation. too bad they haven't come up with super strength fiber wrapper/cover materials.  Do you recommend use of a 'lubricant'? sounds icky... 

They actually do have heavy wrapper materials at least for within buildings.  I've seen it used when running fiber between floors.

If you're doing outdoor, there are special gels for pulling cable.  These are also used in armor, outdoor rated Ethernet cable too. The gel isn't just for friction; it's to prevent cable from freezing or cracking in the cold.

http://www.polywater.com/icefree.html

The outdoor-rated Ethernet able I've worked with (it hasn't been much, several people at work have had far more experience) the lubricant is kind of like a greasy Chapstick.  Outer heavy jacket.  Underneath, the sheathing was a metal that in tube form, was almost as tough as a 22 shell.  Then another cable sheath followed by the Ethernet pairs in lubricant.

And yes, it's kind of icky when terminating it, but I've done worse. For me, it was more trying to work with it on a 16' ladder, as it had been run on poles from one building to another, while trying to cut through the jacket with tools that weren't completely suited for the job.  Plus, the white pairs of this particular cable weren't striped; I realized this after separating the pairs once, muttering something I won't print, then stripping a bit more so I could figure out which wire was which.

Edited by LoneWolf

nrf

brings back memories of 'icky pic' cables from my days working for the monopoly known as 'ma bell'