RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

POE Switches

nrf

interesting. where would one get a cable like the one in the picture? I have 4 sfp slots waiting to serve in my T1600G-28TS .... :)

schoondoggy

The copper cable with SFP's attached that GotNoTime is referring to, tend to be shorter than 10M and look like this:

Uqyi1o.jpg

The cable in LoneWolf's picture is traditional 50 or 62.5 micron multi-mode fiber with LC connections and separate SFP's. How far do you need to go? What are you connecting to?

nrf

So those short ones aren't really using fiber rather pretend to using copper for a short run....

my application would be to connect to another switch in a barn about 400 feet away, it would be 1gb only.

Edited by nrf

snapper

my application would be to connect to another switch in a barn about 400 feet away, it would be 1gb only.

If there is any risk of a potential difference in the voltage between the two buildings (e.g. different earthing systems, different supply phases) then I would use fibre to avoid letting the magic smoke out.

Whilst a gigabit port will have an isolation transformer, there will be a limit to the amount of potential difference it can absorb.

other thing to remember that copper ethernet is only specced up to 100m, so 400ft is out of spec anyway...

snapper

Nice switches.  I looked up the price of the CISCO and was less than I would have thought.  Will have to look at that one in the future if my needs grow.

I have both as well and for the price (especially used) they are great.

I prefer the SG300 though as it allows copper or SFP for ports 9 & 10, but the GS110TP is SFP only.

A nice thing about the Cisco is the CLI is close to Cisco IOS, so I didn't have to learn a new syntax

schoondoggy

So those short ones aren't really using fiber rather pretend to using copper for a short run....

You could bury conduit from the house to the barn and run fiber through it. Test the cable with your switches prior to burying it. Run two nylon twine with a weight on it to get the first pull in prior to burying. After burying the conduit, pull the fiber and another nylon twine through. Be careful not to get any kinks in the fiber. There are deals on fiber on ebay. Just be sure they are LC connector and multimode.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/125M-Armored-cable-LC-LC-62-5-125-Duplex-Fiber-Patch-Cord-Jumper-LC-to-LC-MM-/262221641482?hash=item3d0da0b70a:g:7gUAAOSw~OdVVZUX

http://www.ebay.com/itm/125M-OUTDOOR-ARMORED-LC-LC-2-STRAND-OM3-50-125-MULTIMODE-FIBER-OPTIC-CABLE-10GB-/201407612328?hash=item2ee4d445a8:g:GMQAAOSwgQ9Vzbbv

Check with your switch manufacturer to see if they have recommended SFP.

nrf

pulling fiber seems to be a tricky operation. too bad they haven't come up with super strength fiber wrapper/cover materials.  Do you recommend use of a 'lubricant'? sounds icky... 

nrf

ubiquity makes a nice system for that, seems lots less trouble than trenching and pulling.. thanks for the suggestion.

schoondoggy

pulling fiber seems to be a tricky operation. too bad they haven't come up with super strength fiber wrapper/cover materials. Do you recommend use of a 'lubricant'? sounds icky...

It's not bad, just need to be careful. They have armored fiber that can been run underground without conduit, but it is very pricey.